Charogat
Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I asked a question the other day about a small lump on my

Hi, I asked a question the other day about a small lump on my left foot that appeared suddenly. From what I can tell it is on the flexor hallucis longus tendon (inside of my left foot, just about 1/2 inch back from the bunion bone (on big toe side). Sorry for the bad description, but I am not good with foot anatomy. Anyway, because of the sudden onset, the answer was assumed it was a insect bite of some sort.
After following the instructions given, it still did not get better, so I went to see the podiatrist (had an appt for follow-up on broken big toe anyway). Upon visual and x-ray examination, he ruled out ganglion cyst or inclusion cyst (foreign body). He told me it was a tumor of unknown origin and scheduled me for surgery to have it removed.
Of course, I didn't think to ask the necessary questions at the time, just heard the word surgery and kind of freaked out. My question is, can cyst be conclusively ruled out with x-ray and a test in which he shone light thru it. It shows as a mass on the x-ray and light did not pass through in when shined directly on the mass.
He mentioned the likelihood that it would only get larger and the slight possibility's it could be a malignant growth, so the suggestion was to have it removed before it got any bigger.
It seemed the right thing to do at the time, but now home, I am having many second thoughts. Is this something that I can just take a wait and see approach to? Are they more tests that I should have before considering the surgery?
I guess I can say, I am worried about the prospect of having unnecessary surgery. What should I do at this point, is there something further I should request done before I consider this?
Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

I'm sorry you are going through such a scary time right now.
You should be able to see on x-ray or light if there is a fluid or solid (or semisolid) object being visualized. It is possible that it is not a tumor, but there is a good likelihood that it is. Being a tumor does not necessarily mean cancer.
I would suggest getting a second opinion ASAP and my guess is that you will be advised to have the surgery, and soon. Although surgery is by definition an invasive procedure, this would likely be quite superficial.

I'll keep you in my prayers.
G-d Bless

If you have any follow-up questions feel free to ask them.

________________________
If you are satisfied with my answer please click 'accept' so that I can be paid. BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are not expected, but are always appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your informative answer. I already feel better! I shall make an appointment on Monday for a second opinion, and if it is the same, will schedule surgery without delay (or worry).
Just to clarify then, if the x-ray showed a solid mass, it is not likely to be just a cyst then? Darn :-(
I just want to make sure that I understood correctly the reason a cyst was already ruled out.
you do understand correctly.
If the area had material that was not solid it should look different on x-ray.
I DO hope that the next doctor (it would be helpful to make your follow up with a doctor who has a radiologist on site who will look at the x-ray) finds that it is nothing.
While a podiatrist might be most used to seeing foot x-rays and abnormalities, a radiologist is used to seeing all kinds of abnormalities, tissues, densities etc.

I'll keep you in my prayers
G-d Bless.

________________________