Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

FOR MONTHS I HAVE HAD WEEPING, ITCHY,AND SOMETIMES PAINFUL,

Customer Question
BLISTERS THAT ROTATE AMONG MY...
FOR MONTHS I HAVE HAD WEEPING, ITCHY,AND SOMETIMES PAINFUL, BLISTERS THAT ROTATE AMONG MY SCALP, FACE, ARMS, AND LEGS. MY CALVES ARE SO SWOLLEN AND ITCHY THAT I CAN BARELY SLEEP, NONE OF MY SHOES WILL FIT WHEN THEY ARE SWOLLEN. IT GETS INTO MY EYES, ITCHES, AND AFFECTS MY VISION. THE SKIN AROUND SOME OF THE BLISTERS IS EITHER REALLY WHITE OR REALLY RED. AFTER SEVERAL MONTHS, SEVERAL DOCTORS, AND LOTS OF MONEY NOTHING HAS HELPED. I AM BECOMING SCARRED AND DISFIGURED. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/1/2009
Health Professional: CamilleRN, Nurse (RN) replied 8 years ago
CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Hi and thank you for your question. Can you tell me what your Dr has told you about this so far?

Each one says, "I just can't figure out what is causing this rash. Let's try this. Or, I don't think this is caused by anything that I would treat."

This may be contact eczema (or contact dermatitis) which takes place when the skin touches something that irritates it and puts into motion an allergic reaction. This can occur as a result of close contact with harsh detergents, latex, solvents, chemicals, nickel or other things. The inflammation that results because of the allergic reaction could cause the blisters and bubbling of the skin. Sometimes an autoimmune disease occurs due to contact eczema which causes blisters to appear on the skin. Autoimmune disease is when your own body turns on itself and attacks your skin. Why this happens is unknown. The most common symptoms of unsightly eczema flare-ups include a rash, very dry, raw and itchy skin as well as skin that is red, flaky and inflamed. At its most severe, eczema can cause crusty, scaly and cracked skin that can weep fluid or bleed. Not only is this unsightly but it can be very painful as well. Infants most commonly develop patchy rashes on these parts of their body- their face, knees and elbows. Older children and teenagers are likely to develop an unsightly and itchy eczema rash on the sides of their neck, their hands and wrists, inside the elbows, behind the knees and the ankles. Finally, adults experience eczema rashes most often on their neck, hands, arms and legs. While it is less common for adults to develop eczema on their face, it does happen sometimes. To fight the unsightliness of eczema and to discourage flare-ups, it is important to moisturize your skin twice a day and be completely committed to doing so on a regular basis. Before prescribing a treatment plan, a dermatologist considers the type of eczema, extent and severity of the eczema, patient’s medical history, and a number of other factors. Medication and other therapies will be prescribed as needed to:

Control itching

Reduce skin inflammation

Clear infection

Loosen and remove scaly lesions

Reduce new lesions

It is important to realize that in most cases no one treatment will be effective. Medical research continues to show that the most effective treatment plan for involves using a combination of therapies to treat the skin and making lifestyle changes to control flare-ups.
CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
CamilleRN
CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)