Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have vocal cord dysplasia. 4 years ago My throat was

bothering me. I had a...
I have vocal cord dysplasia. 4 years ago My throat was bothering me. I had a precancerous lesion on my vocal cord and had it removed after a year of watching it grow a bit. Then within a year it came back and I had it cut out again. Then my throat starting bothering me again so I went to a different surgeon and he lazored it. It game back really soon this time. Also, a year ago my back side of my tongue was bothering me for a long time on an off, it felt irritated. These doctors are not telling me much. I do not smoke and only drink occasionally, but have really cut down drinking alcohol to a minimum because my throat would get really sore after drinking. After my first surgery I went to speech therapy but neither the speech therapist and myself thought I was not the proble was not cause my me speaking incorrectly. The I was told it could be caused by laringeal reflux, so I took pills for acid reflux. I do not like taking pills and the problem still came back. The surgeon asked my if I wanted him to remove it again. I don't know what to do, because every time I remove it, it comes back. I went to a accupuncturist/herbalist and got these Chinese herb medicine teas. They did stop me burping. I do notice when I drink water, I burp. Would that mean I have acid reflux. I had a gastroenterologist go down and look inside me to see if I had reflux and he said that he didn't think so. Then I took a test where you drink something and then they X-ray you, and they said that I had a little reflux. Anyway, I don't know what to do. I am not really into surgery and drugs. I do prefer to help myself with vitamins and herbs if possible. I did some research on the internet and found out about lazor pulsing and also heard about it from a nurse friend of mine. This is suppose to do less damage to the vocal cords. If there is a doctor or nurse out there that has experienced a patient that has these precancerous lesions on their vocal cord and it keeps coming back over and over again after it is being removed and have some success stories as to how the get rid of these lesions once and for all, I would like to hear from you. Thanks! Debby
10/25/2009
Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor

Smoking, alcohol and GERD (acid reflux) are risk factors for development of vocal cord cancer. So, these need to be checked. It's good that you take vitamins as that have anti-oxidants which reduce the risk of cancer. However, these anti-oxidants can cause harm in smokers so you should try to stop smoking totally.

Each case is assessed individually. The reports of pulsed laser for early cancers or dysplasia are very good. It is less likely to damage delicate vocal-cord tissue. Not only it preserves the voice but another benefit of the therapy is that it does not rule out future therapeutic options. So, you can go for it. Thanks.

I do not smoke. I wanted some info that I don't already know. Have you had any patients that had precancerous lesions on their vocal cords that kept coming back a number of times after being removed, and if so what worked to keep them away for good?

Yes, it could be recurrent in nature at times. One reason could be the acid reflux. Though it is mild in your case, it can cause damage to the innermost layers of vocal cord and dysplastic changes develops. GERD amy not be so mild. I would recommend you to see a gastroenterologist for it again. In my opinion, if GERD is taken care of then your recurrences may be controlled. Thanks.

To read more about larungo - esophageal reflux, you can follow this ink

http://www.meddean.luc.edu/depts/otolaryn/patient_ed/pdf/Dr.%20Akst%20Reflux.pdf

Does that mean I have to take acid reducing drugs if I have acid reflux? I read in all my health magazines and journals that those acid reducing drugs are not good for you. That it is imprtant to have that acid to break down the food for digestion. If fact after taking omeprezole and then stopping, I felt it worse. Are there herbs or vitamins that can help that muscle stay closed so it won't let the food come up. I do not want to treat the symptom, I'd like to treat the cause if possible and stregthen my body.

Herb vitamins do not have much scientific basis behind them and no long term studies to prove their efficacy. I think you are having a reflux in your larynx which definitely needs t be treated and you are lucky that your dysplasia got diagnosed early. You should see a gastro-enterologist and get an endoscopy done to see what treatment would be best for you. Thanks.

I already went to a gastro-enterologist who said he did not see anything. Do you know anything I can do to get rid of the reflux besides taking the acid reducing drugs. I am looking for answers that I hope someone can tell me of things I don't already know. I have to run out now. Will be back in a few hours. Thanks!

Well first an endoscopy needs to be done. You should see another gastro. Thanks.

I took omeprezole, but I don't think it is healthy to take indefinately. What do you think? Do you know of any alternative ways to get rid of laryngeal reflux?

Every medicine has some side effects. It is prescribed when it is likely to do more good than harm. By not taking it you are doing more harm to yourself. You are putting yourself to the risk of larynx cancer. This could be the reason why you are getting dysplasia again and again. In my opinion you should see a gastro again and go with what he prescribes depending upon your findings. Thanks.

Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor