Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I Have A Smoky Smelling Urine. What Can Cause This?

Customer Question
What could be the cause...

What could be the cause of a "smoky" urine odor. No other symptoms, just a very very strong, lingering, smoky kind of smell, somewhat like hot dog water that has been condensed. I have had many UTIs in the past, and this is not the same. This has gone on for about 6 months, with no symptoms, just odor that is strong enough to cover the smell of a bm, and can still be smelled ten minutes later in the bathroom.

Thank you.

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/22/2009
Health Professional: Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr.Saurabh Joshi

Have you had any tests for this?

Do you have diabetes?

Regards

I do not have diabetes, and have not had any other tests for this, since I have no other symptoms I really have put off going to a urologist.

This can be a chronic low grade kidney infection and you should have this tested.

You can start with your GP and have a Urine test done.

If this shows any infection, then treating it with appropriate antibiotics would clear this infection.

This can also be due to a concentrated urine, which would suggest reduced kidney function.

Blood Urea and Serum Creatinine levels should be tested to look for this.

Please see your GP and have these tests done, if there is any abnormality then you can seek a referral to an Urologist.

Kind Regards

Because of the gastric bypass that I had and the malabsorbsion that I have because of it, I get every six months a blood test panel. A month or so after this odor began I had this test, and the only issue that it showed was an ongoing lack of Vit. D. I had been taking 50,000 units weekly, and the previous blood test showed it still low, so I started on 50,000 daily. Also at this time I had a regular UA, that did show no infection at the time. She didn't do a culture or anything, and the odor was only addressed in passing, because it was still a pretty new issue, and was not causing any other problems. I did ask if the extre vit D could cause a change in urine smell, she said not likely, and that is really as far as it went. I guess my main question is--since I am having no symptoms, is it possible that it is just a chemical change in my system, and even if I am having no symptoms, might I be allowing damage somewhere-bladder or kidneys by not checking further. It is expensive to go to a specialist, and I really can't afford too many visits unless It is absolutly necessary.

Thanks

This is unlikely to be from excess Vit D.

As urinary odor is commonly from a degradation product of a bacterial infection, it would be advisable to have a Urine test.

You need not visit a Specialist for this, just go to your regular GP and have these tests ordered, if there is any infection / reduced kidney function, then you need to see a specialist.

Kind Regards

Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor