How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask A. Schuyler, NP Your Own Question
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 16308
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
Type Your Health Question Here...
A. Schuyler, NP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have acid refulx, take nexium everyday twice a day, once

Resolved Question:

I have acid refulx, take nexium everyday twice a day, once upon a time I was taking 4 times a day. I recently had gallblader removed and since then my acid reflux has been worse than ever. I have had 3 endi. scopes with inflamation only, however I am concerned. I am thinking that I need to take an aggressive approach & erhaps go to a teaching hospital in NY. & perhaps the top in this field. My uncle passed away from this about 5 years ago. Do you think this is wise, perhaps I am not going to the right kind of doctor? I see a ear, nose & throat doctor. Can you reccommend a hospital as well as doctor? Thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.


Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. A teaching hospital is a great idea, but I would switch to a gastroenterologist for your reflux. Any teaching hospital in any state would be fine. There you will find the latest in treatment, including an interdisciplinary approach. In addition to Nexium, you can also try another over-the-counter medication called Gaviscon that contains alginatec which coats the esophagus and really helps with the pain from acid reflux.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you familar with the teaching hospitals in NY & can you reccommend one as well as a doctor? Is a gastroenterologist digestive disorder doctor?
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Yes, a gastroenterologist treats all of the digestive system from one end to the other. He or she would be the real expert in reflux. In New York, I would go to Mount Sinai or New York Presbyterian. We don't recommend specific doctors, but you will find a number of them at both medical centers.

A. Schuyler, NP and 6 other Health Specialists are ready to help you