Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

i have a menthol cool taste in my mouth. it is on my tongue

i have a menthol cool taste in my mouth. it is on my tongue and cheek and lips. i have not chewed gum since yesterday and that was not minty. today i ate a ham and cheese on sour dough bread - pumpkin cream cheese muffin and izzy soda from work- chili with beans and celery with a crousant from work (starbucks). decaf coffee with caramel syrup and half &half
I have drunk lots of water to get rid of this taste and irritating feeling in my mouth.
my ears is clogged a little.
my throat is a little sore.
basically this all boils down to the feeling of someone pouring peppermint syrup down your thoat and told you not to drink anything afterwards. this is going on since about 5pm today and i am tired and want to sleep but this is too much..
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 years ago.
The likely cause of the same in your case could be the cold that you have. This could be causing the tingling / cool taste in the mouth.
You may even get a cold sore later.
For a much larger list of potential causes read here
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/mouth_tingling/causes.htm
I believe that this should start improving over the next few days, however if the same persists, then a physical examination and testing for the other causes needs to be done,
Warm regards
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am not quit sure it is a cold because i haven't got one. this is a sudden chain of events while at work. no previous cold symptoms before this started
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 years ago.
Alright,
Given the fact that you have "my ears is clogged a little. my throat is a little sore." these symptoms may indicate the begining of a viral prodrome. In most cases, the symptoms are likely to be self limiting and would last for a few days, and then show signs of improvement.
However if the same persists, then a physical examination and testing for the other causes needs to be done,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

what can i do to improve this. i am afraid to brush my teeth b/c of how my mouth feels. i just remember that before this i was having chest pains. i have asthma not the bad of it. however i have a hard time distinguishing asthma from heartburn. is this a separate issue or the same?

Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 7 years ago.
It would seem that this is unlikely to be related to your asthma.
The only thing that may come to mind, would be the use of inhaled steroids leading to a fungal infection that would start like this.
Reflux can present with a bitter sensation in the back of the mouth, though tingling all around the mouth would be unusual.
You can take a good multivitamin, use a very soft brush and a hypoallergenic toothpaste (SLS free like Squiggles) to reduce the same, and take a diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables and clear warm soups,
Warm regards