Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have a sharp pain in my knee when I kneel on it, like I knelt

Customer Question

I have a sharp pain in my knee when I kneel on it, like I knelt on a little rock. It causes such a sharp shooting pain that I jump when it happens,it makes me want to cut my knee open to see if there could be a chip in my knee cap that could be poking out, but of coarse I won't.When it started happening It didn't hurt to touch it only if I knelt at a certain angle. Now there is swelling, redness, warmth and pain in the area. There is a little sore where some pus and drainage will come out if I squeeze it. I wonder if that could just be a ingrown hair in the same area, but either way it is really tender. The redness is 2 in in diameter and it hurts to touch anywhere that it is red. I have noticed that the redness is larger now than it was earlier, so I have drawn a line around the edges to see if it continues to spread. Before I was just irritated by the pain, but now I'm worried about the redness, warmth, and pain to the touch. What could this be and what should I do about it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
As you describe there may be following possibilities in your case.
Ligament sprain
Tear of the meniscus
Pus can result due to underlying localised infection.
It is advised to undergo a clinical examination and undergo a X-ray of knee for further evaluation.
I suggest you to consult an Orthopedist or your regular doctor for further evaluation and management ASAP.
In the meantime you should take proper rest , avoid straining the affected knee and take OTC anti inflammatory medication (Motrin ) as well.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
why would it cause the pain to feel like there is something hard inside that I kneeled on, like a chipped bone and is the warmth, redness and pain to touch the area something that I should worry about if it has gotten larger today?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
As such there may be possibility of knee injury(Ligament sprain?Tear of the meniscus ??)which results in pain, tenderness , warmth , redness on affected area associated with localised infection.
Your doctor may prescribe you antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can the infection be dangerous if not treated
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
Yes if it left untreated it can damage knee muscles , ligaments and spread to lower leg and body.
So i suggest you to consult an Orthopedist or your regular doctor for further evaluation and management ASAP.