Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Iwas told that iam dehydrate 9-25-09 as of now iam still not

Customer Question
able to walk a straight...
iwas told that iam dehydrate 9-25-09 as of now iam still not able to walk a straight line i was prescribe meclizine 25mg 1ever 4hrs iam still not able to walk a straigh line lightheaded very bad on 9-24-09 not as bad now as then all vital sing were normal
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2009
Health Professional: Pauline, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)

Hello, how much urine are you passing each day?

What is your blood pressure?

Do you take any other medication?

What was the trigger for the dehydration on the 25th?

I was satting at my desk on that day an all at once i just got light headed doctor took all my vital an every thing was normal and still is no other meds just still not back to normal and schould i stll be felling like this urine passing is normal

Thanks for the extra information. In light of the absence of a specific trigger then you need to see an ENT doctor to rule out an inner ear problem. This may be a viral infection of the labyrinth, or a condition called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo however treatment options may be limited to rest, time and anti-sickness tablets if this is a viral problem.

well i dont really understand what you mean i was check for any ear problem could u break down viral infection
Health Professional: Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN) replied 8 years ago
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)

HiCustomer

I would like to try to help you if I can.

When you mentioned that you were dehydrated on September 25th, did you receive any IV fluids (fluids in the vein)?

Had you been vomiting or have diarrhea a lot prior to the dehydration? Any other illness?

What test have been performed on you....blood test, etc.? You said you were checked for an ear problem, what else did they check?

I will need you to answer these questions before I can give you a good answer.

Since you don't feel well, take your time. I'll look for the reply.

This info request is only to gain more information so that I can better answer your question. Please answer the questions to the best of your ability so that I can give you a more accurate, informed answer. Also, if you have any additional information that you feel would be useful, please feel free to include that as well. Thank you!

yes i receive an IV had no diarrhea or vomiting no other illness they did blood work give me an EKG and check my pleasure all vitals were normal i do smoke but I have always been a very active person have not been sick for at lease 3-4 yrs. I look at some of dehydration symptom I wasn't having any of those symptom didn't understand how they came to that decision

THX NURSE Milli

looking to here from U

Hi there and thanks for the reply

So, you were sitting at your desk at work and became lightheaded? Did you pass out?

Was an ambulance called or did you go see your Dr after the event?

left work went to the emergency room did not pass out at no time but was very dizzy need help to walk stayed there for about 6 hr had blood pressure taken 2x left. Saturday not the lease bit better had to go in ambulance was call then from home that when I got check more, feel a lot better but still can't walk a straight line and a little dizzy still taking the meds pressure was ok then and now

Ok, thanks for the information. When you say you are still taking the meds they gave you, you mean the Meclizine that I saw listed in one of your earlier post?

One last question.....are you improving at all since your original post yesterday?

Meclizine yes i can tell iam doing a little better each day so how should I look at this problem

Glad to hear you are feeling a little better every day.

Dehydration (if this was indeed the correct diagnosis that was made), can have many, many causes. Dehydration itself is defined as a lose of fluids (water) and electrolytes (sodium and potassium) from the body. Even very mild dehydration can cause dizziness and a few other symptoms. Would like to also say that sometimes Dr's will treat you for dehydration just in case mild dehydration is occuring just to cover all bases. In normal, healthy people, the extra fluids will not hurt you.

Another possibility is a problem with the inner ear. The inner ear is responsible for balance. If something is going on (albeit small) with the inner ear, it can make you feel very dizzy. This is what the other expert was explaining. There are also several causes for a condition called labyrinthitis (inflammation of the inner ear structure), and it generally goes away on it's own.

Taking too much aspirin can also cause dizziness and so can other medications.

If you are not fully over your dizziness in a few more days, you will need to return to see your Dr and have them possibly have them put you on a heart monitor that you wear home to see if you may be having some irregular heartbeats as well (that you are unaware of). Once, the heart monitor is worn (usually for 24 hours) and there is nothing found, then you might be diagnosed with something called Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. You can read more about it here.

So, I would look at this problem as something simple and hopes that it goes away on it's own as fast as it came on and never returns. But if it doesn't then you will need to return to the Dr.

Hope this helps, reply if needed.

********************

PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "ACCEPT" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by JustAnswer.com and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.

Please ask for clarification if needed.

Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)