How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Singh Your Own Question
Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 6496
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Singh is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 57 years old and have had progressive hearing loss

Resolved Question:

I am 57 years old and have had progressive hearing loss since I was 16. I went to a doctor in my 30s, he did a CT scan and told me I had nerve deafness and there was nothing that could be done because hearing aides would not help me. I can still hear, but am constantly having to ask people to repeat themselves because I don't understand. I am a nurse and its becoming a real problem. Is there anything new out there to help me, and would it be worth having the problem re-evaluated? If so, who do I see? I dont want someone to sell me an expensive hearing aid if it won't really help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
If you have progressive hearing loss since 16, a likely cause is sensorineural hearing loss, which is related to nerves and tiny organs int he inner ear. Although in most cases, this can't be cured, but certain devices or procedures can help you hear better. I think you should definitely get re-evaluated and see an ENT specialist to get hearing tests done. You may likely benefit from hearing aids, or a procedure called Cochlear implantation depending on the severity and type of hearing loss. So you should see an ENT soon.
Dr. Singh and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you