How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Doctor Mark Your Own Question
Doctor Mark
Doctor Mark, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 3849
Experience:  board certified in Internal Medicine. Over 30 years of geriatric and primary care experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Doctor Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father ( yo) has urinal catheter placed due to his colon

Customer Question

My father (69 yo) has urinal catheter placed due to his colon cancer surgery (24th July 2009, east europe). After a month they removed it but he had incontinence and they put the catheter back. Soon he got infection (he had high temperature and no other symptoms) and had some antibiotics. Last week he went again to have it removed, and still had incontinence problems, but most importantly he got high temperature again. They gave him some medications (antiobiotic pills), but his condition got worse, until one evening he got into high fever. Drs gave him injection ( antibiotics), and when urologist put the catheter back my father released huge amt of urin. Dr said that he could have got sepsa if not reacted sooner.He got several more injections (antibiotics, total 5), last one was on this Tuesday. He was high temperature free until today. My questions are: 1. Why doesn't his bladder empty without catheter?
2. How to cure this infection and not have to have catheter anymore?
Thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Mark replied 7 years ago.
Hi, your dad needs to see a urologist. It sounds like he has a neurogenic bladder from the surgery. That's a bladder that is too weak to contract. Another possibility is that he has enlarged prostate that is blocking his bladder. I don't know which one of these 2 he has. The treatment for an enlarged blocking prostate is surgery to remove the prostate or meds.
If it's a problem with a weak bladder, then it's safer to place a suprapubic catheter than a foley cather. Infection rates are much lower then.
Doctor Mark and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He already saw urologist, he gave him those antibiotics (both pills and injections.
One more thing, is there permanent cure for this neurogenic bladder?
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Doctor Mark replied 7 years ago.
There are medications for neurogenic bladders, but they really don't work all that well. So often there is no permanent cure.