How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vakul Aren Your Own Question
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4059
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Vakul Aren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father is 80 years old. He suffers with occasional

Customer Question

My father is 80 years old. He suffers with occasional (roughly once a week or 10 days, sometimes more often, sometimes less) but very bad diarohea. The attacks come on suddenly, with no warning. There is no pattern around what he has been eating; an attack can come just as easily after following his ordinary, everyday diet. He eats simple, healthly food, my Mum cooks him regular meals, he is generally fit, working in the garden and going on walks. But this problem is beginning to make him worried about going out. The local GP has checked a sample and found nothing wrong. My dad is a worrier, and does take pills for depression. Can you help?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Mark replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I would have him take lomotil or immodium for the diarrhea. He should have a colonoscopy to check his colon. Daily metamucil or a similar fiber product can help regulat his bowels.
What meds is he on and does he have any medical problems.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He does take Immodium when he needs to go out and is worried about having a further attack. He has plenty of fibre in his diet; wholemeal bread, cereals, a good variety of vegetables.

He takes Citalopram daily, and has done since 2006. He takes paracetamol for various aches and pains.

This has been a problem for several years, on and off, but is getting much worse now. Do we just have to put up with it, and put it down to old age as the local doctor seems to suggest?

Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 7 years ago.
Hello.The diaorrhea may be a allergen induced one ,and appears to be a food allergy.If you note down his daily diet and keep tabs,you may find out what food is causing the allergy.Lactose intolerance,wheat/gluten intolerance,sugar intolerance and yeast intolerance are common examples.The other causes may be to chronic alcohol intake,malabsorption and vitamin deficiencies.Colonoscopy and other tests to rule out cancer also need to be done because of his age .