Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

Yesterday I had what I thought was a very baby tick under my

Yesterday I had what I thought was a very baby tick under my arm. I pulled it off and there is just a little red mark. I saved the tick which I am not even sure it is definitely a tick because it is sooo small. My question is should I take antibiotics or wait for a rash. We are currently trying to get pregnant and I know amoxicillin is safe. I know people usually say to watch and wait but I dont want to take any chances in case I was to be pregnant. I just want an opinion on what course of action is best. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Hi

If you are worried about Lyme disease, I would see my Dr. Studies have shown taking Doxycycline in the first 72 hours after a bite, it could actually prevent Lyme Disease.

Having blood drawn to test for Lyme Disease (Lyme Titer) would also be something else you could think about. The best time to have the blood test is six weeks after being bitten by the tick if there are no symptoms present. Your body takes about this long to form the antibodies to the disease that the test is looking for. If symptoms do exist this is a sign that your body is trying to combat the disease and the test can be done sooner.

However, antibiotics taken in the early stage of the disease may prevent a person from ever making antibodies....and you would end up with a false-negative. Your Dr's judgement will be best here, especially since you are trying to get pregnant.

I want to always encourage you to save anything you remove from your body like you have done. This is always a good idea.

http://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/lyme-disease-medications

********************

Please ask for clarification if needed.

********************

Please ask for clarification if needed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My doctor prescibed amoxicillin because she said it was safe for pregnancy..She said I could wait for symtoms or just start it right away..it was up to me... What is your opinion?

Hi

Yes, you can go ahead and follow her directions. It certainly will not hurt.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thank you:)

Thank you!! Good luck!