How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Abby Your Own Question
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 10330
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Abby is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i remove water from behind my eardrum

This answer was rated:

how do i remove water from behind my eardrum

What are your current symptoms?
How long has this been going on?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sounds like there is water trapped in my ear and has been going on for 1 month
Thanks for the additional information,

A few things may be causing your symptoms,
You may have wax in the ear canal. Water can get trapped behind the wax and give you the sensation of water in the ear.
You can try over the counter wax softeners such as cerumenex or debrox or mix 1/2 part water and 1/2 part hydrogen peroxide and put a dropperful in your ear to help soften the wax.
If you are feeling plugging and fullness of the ear, you may have fluid behind the eardrum. If there is pain as well, you could also have an infection which would need antibiotic treatment.
If there is no pain and you are only having the feeling of fullness and pressure, then you likely do have fluid behind the eardrum. There are a few things that can be tried, although nothing has been shown to work well for this condition. Over the counter antihistamines or antihistamine/decongestants such as claritin D can be tried. Your doctor can also prescribe a nasal steroid spray.
Often the fluid will go away on its own but will take up to 2-3 months.
You can consult with an ENT, who can also drain the fluid or put a tube in the ear.

If you have any further questions, I am happy to answer them for you.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my answer, please remember to click accept. Thank you!
Dr. Abby and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Health Questions