Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I am on day 3 of a strange rash on my face. It began in the

Customer Question

I am on day 3 of a strange rash on my face. It began in the middle of the night, when I was quite hot, as a red burning across both cheeks and on my chin. It remained hot all day and felt like sunburn. It was not raised or bumpy. Day 2, and the redness in my cheeks had largely gone, but my face felt tight and tingly. My upper lip also felt very sore and hot. It hurts to drink anything like orange juice. I just woke up on day 3 and my cheeks again feel sore and my upper lip is very painful. What could this be?

Some background info: I had a mild cold for a few days before this rash appeared. I am 33 weeks pregnant and was initially quite worried about fifth disease but, as this is now mostly on my upper lip, I'm hoping it's something else. I didn't eat anything unusual or use any different products before the rash started, and I wasn't in the sun. My GP ran a general blood test which was normal. Presumably I would've had an elevated WBC if I did have a virus?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in tonight. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I have a few questions. I hope you understand.

Did your provider culture the area or do a skin scraping? Did your provider give you a diagnosis or recommend treatment?

Have you started any new medications recently or changed doses?

Have you ever had a problem with herpes or cold sores?

Please let me know.

Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello Lisa,

Did your provider culture the area or do a skin scraping? - No

Did your provider give you a diagnosis or recommend treatment? - He just said to come back in a few days if it got worse and he prescribed a cream. I don't have the name of the cream as it was made up specially at the pharmacy and I can't read the ingredients on it. It doesn't help, and makes my face tingle more if anything.

Have you started any new medications recently or changed doses? - No

Have you ever had a problem with herpes or cold sores? - No

Hello;

Thank you for responding. I was considering a few things. I was hoping to get some insight, based on those questions; however, what I am thinking is still highly speculative, so I must opt myself out of this question. This means that another expert will be able to read and respond.

I hope you understand. I would rather opt out than provide you with speculative information.

Have a good evening.

Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, thank you anyway.

I hope someone else can help me soon as I have to leave the house in an hour and I will be out all day. I am quite worried about this because of the fifth disease possibility and the dangers to my pregnancy.