Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

MY BLOOD TEST SHOWS THAT MY AST IS 60 AND ALT IS 70. FIRST

Customer Question

MY BLOOD TEST SHOWS THAT MY AST IS 60 AND ALT IS 70.tHIS IS THE FIRST TIME IT HAS HAPPENED.dO I HAVE LIVER DISEASE OR WHAT OTHER TESTS DO I NEED.
PARVEEN
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in tonight.

These numbers are mildly elevated. Most liver diseases, such as hepatitis, have significantly higher values, roughly > 5x the normal limits. When numbers are only mildly elevated like this, you suspect other possible causes, like medications.

Generally, in situations like this with minor elevations, a provider may choose to reduce some of the medications to try and identify the causative medication; however, the provider may also want to just wait and re-check the labs later. If you do have a re-check later, chances are your labs may be normal by then. By no means does this mean you have liver disease, it's more like a little irritation. I suspect you provider will just want to re-check later.

I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know.

Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
has the lab test to do with my digestive problems of having bowel movement soon after i eat my meal.The higher liver enzymesare due to my stomach problems.

Hello;

Thank you for responding. Yes, mild elevation can be caused by disorders of the gastric tract. Although these enzymes are most commonly found in the liver, they are also found in smaller amounts in other tissues. Also, the gastric tract and liver are closely linked.

At any rate, I suspect this is a self-limiting, irritation.

If you have additional questions, please let me know.

Lisa