Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Heat stroke

Customer Question
heat stroke
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2009
Health Professional: Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner replied 8 years ago
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner

Hello;

Thank you for writing in tonight.

I am familiar with the topic of heat stroke. How may I assist you? What is your question?

Please let me know.

Lisa

I'm pretty sure i have had heat exhaustion today. Is it ok for me to just try and go to sleep if I can?
I threw up a couple hours ago and my head is way into a migrain. I'm a fraid to take anything....and I'd like to try and go to sleep.

Hello;

Thank you for responding.

Heat exhaustion or stroke can actually be quite dangerous. When a person has heat stroke, many different cellular metabolic changes take place. There are some obvious acute symptoms associated with heat stroke; however, heat stroke can cause some damage that may be delayed. Heat stroke can cause rhabdomyolysis. Rhabdomyolysis is when proteins from damaged tissue, due to cellular metabolic changes (anaerobic metabolism), breaks down and enters the blood stream. This can cause some problems, specifically renal problems. The severity of rhabdo can range from mild to life threatening.

At this point, given the possible heat exhaustion, migraine, and vomiting, I would highly suggest evaluation by a provider. At this point, I think an evaluation to rule out dehydration, at a minimum, may be necessary. I would recommend evaluation as soon as possible. You may be able to call your provider's office and reach the on-call provider for further advisement.

I hope this helps. If you have additional quesitons or concerns, please let me know.

Lisa

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
What is the worse that could happen if I just try to go to sleep with this head ache... I feel like I could easily throw up again.. I'm trying not to as to keep liquid in my sytem
What is the worse that could happen if I just try to go to sleep. I'm trying to throw up again as I'm trying to keep liquids in my system... I actually have the chills

Hello;

Thank you for responding.

At this point, it is difficult to actually provide you with a worst case scenario, since you have not been properly evaluated and diagnosed. At this point, your symptoms could be related to some migraine activity, heat stroke, or even other possible causes. If the symptoms are related to a migraine, then trying to sleep may help. If your symptoms are a result of possible heat stroke, a potentially life threatening situation could develop.

Since you have developed the chills, I would still have to insist that your consider a provider evaluation. Chills are generally not a symptom of migraine; however, can be a symptom associated with heat stroke sequela.

I hope this helps.

Lisa

ok so I finally was able to sleep and this morning feel much better. Very tired and useless. Still have a slight head ache but from last night when I head was bursting and I wanted to throw up but didn't have anything but water to throw up... aah.. so here is probably by final follow up. Everywhere I read says that for heat stroke call 911 etc. What I want to know is... lets say I would have went to the doctor what would they have actually done. Secondly, if I did have heat stroke and I did just go to sleep what would happen? Doesn't seem to be any info on this? I've never had heat exhaustion this bad. I have had it a couple times where I just have to lie down and can really move and my head pounds... and I have thrown up a couple times before. However, last night was the very worse. I sat in the sun for a football game.

Hello;

Thank you for responding. I am glad you are feeling better.

As for your question regarding heat stroke and falling asleep, please see the above posting. As for the actual treatment of heat stroke, this could vary from simple hydration to complex electrolyte monitoring and circulatory support; therefore, it is difficult to tell you what actually would have been done, since you have not had a diagnosis or evaluation.

As for information regarding heat exhaustion and heat stroke, there are some user friendly references available online. For example, the Mayo clinic provides some information on the subject. I will attach a link for your review.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-heat-exhaustion/FA00020

At this point, fortunately, you are feeling better.

Lisa

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN