How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Abby Your Own Question
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 10330
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Abby is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think I have a ruptured elbow bursa sac, it is about the

Resolved Question:

I think I have a ruptured elbow bursa sac, it is about the size of a golf ball. There is no pain involved and I don't know how it happened. Is there a simple treatment for this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 8 years ago.

What you have is called olecranon bursitits, which is swelling of a fluid filled sac over the elbow.

If it was caused by an injury, the fluid may go away on its own. It can also occur if you rest on your elbows frequently as a result of chronic irritation.

It is not harmful for you to have the swelling, although it does have a risk of getting infected.

I would recommend taking an anti-inflammatory (such as ibuprofen or aleve) if you do not have any problems with this type of medication.

If you do not notice any change in the size of the swelling over the next week, it may not get better on its own. Your doctor can take the fluid out and inject a steroid into the area to help prevent it from recurring.

Here is a very good explanation of olecranon bursitis if you would like to read more:

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Again, if it doesn't improve at all over the next week, you may want to have it drained.

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you