Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

What is Lymphs Absolute?

Normal lymphocyte count is in the rage between 16-45% (some labs 20-40%)of white blood cells (WBCs). Increased lymphocytes (lymphocytosis) in adults is defined as an absolute lymphocyte count greater than 4,000/mm3.
It is necessary to distinguish between absolute and relative lymphocytosis. Absolute lymphocytosis may be defined as an increase in blood lymphocytes above 4,000/mm3. Relative lymphocytosis occurs when there is an increased percentage of circulating lymphocytes, but the absolute number does not exceed 4,000/mm3.
Relative, rather than absolute, leukocytosis occurs in a number of clinical situations, such as infancy, viral infections, connective tissue diseases, thyrotoxicosis and Addison's disease. Splenomegaly causes relative lymphocytosis as a result of splenic sequestration of granulocytes. I hope that helps.

Read full interaction below »

I had a blood test done and I do not understand the results. What does it mean if your lymph absolute is high? But all else seems normal. It is not the lymphocyte it is the lymph absolute level.

9/19/2009
Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor

I am not sure you understand my results. The normal range for lymph absolute is1.3-2.9 K/ul mine is 3.46 my lymphocytes are at normal range does that help?

Could you tell me the reason why these tests were done?
I went to the doctor for insomnia and feeling tired and anxious.
Do you have any joint pains?

No, I did have a short spell of back and chest pain. He thought it may be anxiety. I am concerned that this test is cancer it runs in the family that is why I am worried.

Which cancer runs in your family? Is it leukemia?

Yes, and other forms my father had cancer I forgot the name though. I have had Cervical Dysplasia when I was younger.

It is unlikely to be due to that. Cervical dysplasia of lesser severity usually gets treated by itself. I asked you to give me the normal ranges of the tests that you had mentioned earlier.

Normal range is 1.3-2.9 K/uL mine is 3.46 I am just wondering if I should be concerned. I cannot talk with my doctor until Monday.

You are having absolute lymphocytosis which could be caused by leukemia. The causes of absolute lymphocytosis could be

- Acute viral infections, such as infectious mononucleosis, Epstein-Barr virus infection, and hepatitis.
- Other acute infections such as pertussis.
- Some protozoal infections, such as toxoplasmosis.
- Chronic intracellular bacterial infections such as tuberculosis or brucellosis.
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.

Since, you have a positive history you need to be explored further. Diagnosis. Diagnosing leukemia begins with a medical history and physical examination, complete blood count, and blood smears. Because the symptoms are so general, many other diseases with similar symptoms must be excluded. Typically, the higher the white blood cell count, the worse the prognosis. Blast cells are seen on blood smear in 90% of cases. A bone marrow biopsy is conclusive proof of leukemia A spinal tap will tell if the spinal column and brain has been invaded.

Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor