Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

FOR A FEMALE BLOOD PRESSURE 167 OVER 87 IS THAT HIGH?

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 8 years ago.
Hello!

Yes, this blood pressure is high.It is best to obtain a series of blood pressure readings as it is not wise to over-react to a single reading high or low. I would recommend that if you don't already have one to obtain a blood pressure cuff from a pharmacy. Either an automatic curr that reads at the wrist or arm should be OK. If you have a large arm then the wrist type may be more accurate. (the finger cuffs are not accurate in my experience) The standard for taking your blood pressure is to be seated for five minutes first then check your pressure. After you've collected 12 readings or more then this average should reflect a pretty accurate measure.(Don't throw out any readings but rechecking is OK) If your average systolic is > 140 and /or your average diastolic is over 90 then you would need treatment to help bring it down. (120/80 vs 140/90 would reduce your relative risk/year of a heart attack or stroke by 50%)

The meloxicam for your arthritis may increase your blood pressure slightly. Lowering your salt intake will help your blood pressure. Regular exercise will help to lower your blood pressure.Don't be hesitant to take blood pressure medicine if you need it. While people are often reluctant to take blood pressure medicine it is one of the medicines that is associated with helping you to live longer. Few things are so proven to do this as controlling your blood pressure.

I hope this information helps. Further quuestions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work.

Thank you and best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD