How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does mild diffuse disc desiccation mean, with cervical

This answer was rated:

what does mild diffuse disc desiccation mean, with cervical kyphosis ?
Do you only have neck pain, or does it go into your arms?

What level is this at?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have had neck pain spreading down my right arm since June, as well as numbness. I would say it is about an 7 on a scale from 1 to 10. my MRI also said c4-c5, c5-c6 and c6-c7 all have disc protrusion, with neural impingment is at c4-c5

Well, neural impingement at C4-5 would irritate the C5 nerve, which would cause pain that appears to come from the neck and travel into the shoulder and upper arm (but not into the hand).

But to answer your question:

diffuse disc desiccation

Means that the intervertebral discs (the shock absorbers for your spine) have become a bit dehydrated, or lost some of the water -- which happens to everyone as they age. Just some faster than others. At the age of 32, it is faster in your case.

, with cervical kyphosis

This means that the bones in your neck are bending forward -- instead of the normal "lordosis" -- curved backwards.

So it is a sign that you are having advanced degenerative changes in the neck (e.g. accelerated changes of arthritis and wear and tear on the neck).
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what should i do next, consult my reg DR or see a specialist? What treatments are typical?
I assume you have had a MRI -- so evaluation by a neurosurgeon would be helpful.

The treatments really depend on your exam and the MRI, but physical therapy and pain medications / injections are usually the starting points for therapy.
Dr. Mark and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you