How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nurse Milli, RN Your Own Question
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4139
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Nurse Milli, RN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a severe jock itch for over two years now, non

Resolved Question:

I have had a severe jock itch for over two years now, non stop. I have also had jock itch off and on for more than twenty years. I have tried all of the over the counter creams, sprays, and powders and they don't work. I have also been prescribed several creams from my dermatologist, but NO cure and the rash and very intense itch keeps getting worse. Is there a TRUE cure for jock itch???
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 8 years ago.

Hi there

Could you tell me if your 'Jock Itch' was confirmed by a skin scraping or biospy?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The doctors I have seen just look at it, but they have not done a biospy or skin scraping test.
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 8 years ago.

Ok, thanks for the added info.

There are several skin conditions that mock Jock Itch, but are not Jock Itch once looked at under a microscope. The best way to test for Jock Itch is to do a KOH test. This involves scraping the skin, adding the skin cells to a slide and then adding potassium hydroxide then the slide is heated. The slide is then viewed under the microscope to look for fungal elements specific for the Jock Itch virus.

My concern is that if this was not done, it might not be Jock Itch at all. Intertrigo is a yeast infection that occurs in the folds and cracks of the skin and can cause intense itching and even fissures (tiny cracks in the skin) that can lead to secondary infections. The other condition that mimics tinea cruris (or Jock Itch) is called Erythrasma. This is a bacterial infection that affects the groin (just as jock itch) and then it advances down the inner thigh similar to tinea cruris. However, the rash of erythrasma is flat and more brown than red throughout the affected area. It also does not have any scale or blisters.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you seek out a second opinion and see a different Dermatologist for a scraping and/or biopsy to see exactly what is going on so that you can be treated appropriately. IF you find out what is causing your itch, then yes, most likely there is something that will cure your itch once and for all.


PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "ACCEPT" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.

Please ask for clarification if needed.

Please note that the answer to your question, including information provided by me and posted on the web site, is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as a personal medical diagnosis or formal medical advice. If you have any questions or concerns, I recommend that you seek medical advice from your physician.

Nurse Milli, RN and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 8 years ago.

Correction to my answer...

"The slide is then viewed under the microscope to look for fungal elements specific for the Jock Itch virus.".......Should have said, "Jock Itch Fungus"...not virus. Sorry about that.