How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pauline Your Own Question
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 8631
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Pauline is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a pain in the pit of my stomach almost like it is

Customer Question

I have a pain in the pit of my stomach almost like it is going through to my back
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Hello, is the pain on the left or right side?

Do you have a fever?

On a scale of 1-10 (very bad), how bad is the pain?

How long has it been a problem?

If you can give as much information as possible, that would be very useful.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Almost directly in the middle. It comes as a sharp pain and eases off

Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information, can you tell me when the pain occurs?

Any change to your bowel movements?

Do you take any medication?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have IBS but have never had a pain this sharp in the middle of my stomach through to my back. Usually the pain is much lower and not as sharp. I began taking injections of Forteo about a month ago.

Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Pain in this area might indicate a stomach ulcer, if the pain is very severe then you need to go to urgent care. There are many possible causes of severe stomach pain in this area which might include problems with the pancreas or gall bladder so you may need an ultrasound or upper GI endoscopy to fully investigate.

If the pain is less severe then I would suggest some Gaviscon or omeprazole to help short term.