How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Wu Your Own Question
Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1835
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr Wu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For about the last month or I have noticed flaky skin at the

Resolved Question:

For about the last month or I have noticed flaky skin at the hair line around my face. It almost looks like peeling skin from a sunburn, but this is not the case. It becomes red when I pick off the flaky skin. Do you have any ideas on what this is and what should be done?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question.

I suspect you may have a condition known as seborrheic dermatitis. This is a common, skin condition that causes flaky scales to form. Commonly affected areas include the scalp, eyebrows, eyelids, creases of the nose, lips, behind the ears, in the external ear, and along skin folds on the middle of the body.

You can treat flaking and dryness with over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos. In addition, you can apply over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone along your hairline. Topical steroids help to decrease inflammation and flake formation. Some people with severe cases do require prescription-strength topical steroids.

I hope this answers your question.

Dr Wu and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you