Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist
8591189

I have blood in my seminal fluid although, not in my urine.

I have blood in my seminal fluid although, not in my urine. As far as I am aware this is a recent development. I am unaware of any recent trauma, although I do cycle for exercise. I feel fine and have no swelling or pain. Is this something for which I should seek immediate medical treatment? Is it a known symtom of an STD? Would a urologist be the appropriate physician?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 8 years ago.

Blood in semen can be from various causes like:

Urinary tract infections;
Inflammation / enlargement of the Prostate Gland;
Sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea or Chlamydia;
Trauma to the testicles or prostate;
Cancer of the prostate, bladder or reproductive organs Urinary tract infections;

These need to be differentiated by an Examination and further tests like a Urine Analysis and Bladder Ultrasound for Prostate.

Please get an examination for an enlarged prostate , and a PSA level analysis, as at your age, an enlarged Prostate is the most likely cause of finding blood in semen.

Yes, a Urologist would be the appropriate physician to go to.
Kind Regards,

Dr.Joshi ***** click *** ACCEPT *** if you are satisfied, otherwise I do not get paid for my work and JustAnswer holds your Deposit.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for that information. If the condition is a result of one of the STDs you have mentioned, what would be the period of likely infection for this symptom to occur?

The time interval would depend on the immunity of the person, an infection would generally be accompanied by swollen and enlarged lymph nodes in the groin and also a fever.

Kind Regards,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

In your answer, you indicate in response to my question regarding gonorrhea and Chlamydia that an infection would also be acccompanied by a fever and that the time interval between infection and manifestation of the symptom--blood in seminal fluid--would depend on the immunity of the person.

I would ask for some accepted range of time for the manifestation of that symptom assuming overall generally good health.

Also, I was not aware that those two STDs are accompanied by a fever--which I do not have--was the reference to a fever intended to be in connection with those two STDs ?

A fever generally accompanies all infective causes.

I would advise you to see a doctor and have a Urine Test, that would look for any infective cause and put this issue to rest.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
LoL. Good advice. I certainly intend to do that. Thank you.