Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

What does a high neutrophil count, low lymphocyte, high

platelet count, low red blood...
what does a high neutrophil count, low lymphocyte, high platelet count, low red blood cell high white blood cell indicate?
8/27/2009
PatriciaRN
PatriciaRN, Nurse
Hello,Customer

What you are describing are components of the CBC, or complete blood count. The results of a CBC are used, perhaps along with other testing, and with examination by clinicians to come up with a complete clinical picture.

Here is a link that summarizes most of the components and their meaning in disease and health:

http://www.medicinenet.com/complete_blood_count/article.htm

A low lymphocyte level can happen with aplastic anemia, in which the bone marrow may be injured and so the production of lymphocytes is decreased. Low lymphocyte counts can also occur in AIDS, in some neurological conditions such as MS, or after the use of steroids.

A high platelet count can be the result of inflammation. High white blood cell counts usually indicate some type of infection. Low red blood cell counts are consistent with various forms of anemia.

Many things can cause a high neutrophil count, such as stress on the body, inflammation, bacterial infection, seizures, or kidney disease.

Here is a link regarding the significance of neutrophils:

http://www.medfriendly.com/neutrophil.html

However, as I said, looking at the whole clinical picture is important before the doctor or clinician makes a diagnosis, so the tests must be used along with examination and a good medical history.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please feel free to ask a follow up question if you have one.
thyroid tests normal, persistant cough hoarse voice, difficulty swallowing
From your description of the hoarse voice and persistent cough, with difficulty swallowing, it sounds as though you may be having a problem with GERD, or Gastro-esophageal reflux disease. This occurs when the sphincter, which is like a rubber band, that keeps the food in the stomach after it is eaten, is weakened, and so food comes back up through the esophagus. Sometimes this food is aspirated into the lungs, causing inflammation and coughing. Swallowing can become difficult if stomach acid has begun to damage the esophagus. GERD can be caused by overeating, by stress, by injury, or by various medications such as NSAIDs or any other medication that is harsh to the stomach lining.

Some of the abnormalities in the CBC you mentioned may be related to this. However, you are wise to have a thorough examination by your doctor, and to have him or her take a full history, on you before a diagnosis is made and treatment is given.

I hope this is helpful to you and best of luck.
could these all be associated with lymphoma?
That is possible but you cannot diagnose lymphoma with a simple CBC.

The most common symptom of lymphoma is enlarged lymph glands. These can be under the arms, in the groin, or in various areas of the body. The best way to diagnose lymphoma is to get a biopsy of some of the tissue in the area of the node that is enlarged, and then other tests can be done.

Here's a link regarding the symptoms and diagnosis of lymphoma:

http://lymphoma.about.com/od/symptoms/u/symptomsdiagnosis.htm#s1
PatriciaRN
PatriciaRN, Nurse
PatriciaRN
PatriciaRN
PatriciaRN, Nurse