A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

i am a 32 year old mother of 2.... (ages 3 and 1) I have a

i am a 32 year old mother of 2.... (ages 3 and 1) I have a mitral valve prolapse and heart murmur. I recently began to experience painful heart palpitations... Is that bad?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Palpitations are abnormal heart beats. Some irregular heartbeats are a problem and others are entirely harmless. They can be from problems with the heart's electrical system, but they can also be from too much caffeine or a problem with stress and anxiety. Your medical provider would need to run an ecg, and perhaps have you wear a monitor to record what was going on when you had the sensation of palpitations to determine if what you are feeling is a problem or not.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so you think i should not be too alarmed? it happens any where from 1-4 times a day.... normally w/ exercise or stress!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so you think i should not be too alarmed? it happens any where from 1-4 times a day.... normally w/ exercise or stress! i don't drink caffeine.

Since it occurs often, it is more likely to be something benign, but you should see someone the first of the week to get it checked out to make sure you aren't developing a problem.