How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nurse Annie Your Own Question
Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 6471
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
Type Your Health Question Here...
Nurse Annie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think I may have addison's disease and I was tested via a

Resolved Question:

I think I may have addison's disease and I was tested via a blood test 2 yrs ago and did not have it. Is there a another test I can ask my doctor for?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 8 years ago.

When you are in the early stages of this disease, it can be difficult to diagnose. Usually your past medical history and symptoms especially the dark tanning of your skin will lead a doctor to suspect that you have this condition. the most specific test for diagnosing Addison's disease is the ACTH stimulation test. If this test comes back abnormal, a CRH stimulation test is done to determine the cause of adrenal insufficiency. Once a doctor has diagnosed primary adrenal insuffiency, abdominal x-rays may be done to see if the adrenal glands have any signs of calcium deposits. A TB test may also be done; If there is secondary adrenal insuffiency, your doctor may do a CT scan to see the size and shape of your pituitary gland. So I would have testing done if addison's is suspected. You can read more here about these specific blood tests and other information
Nurse Annie and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you