How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mel. Your Own Question
Mel., Nurse
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 352
Experience:  Qualified in 1977,have extensive coronary care & general experience,plus stress related conditions.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Mel. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I get blood spots on my hands and lower arms. My Dr said it

This answer was rated:

I get blood spots on my hands and lower arms. My Dr said it was because my skin is thin, because when you get older your skin gets thiner?

Hello saduncan,


Welcome to Just Answer.


Yes indeed the skin can sag and thin with age but you are very young for that to be happening!


Are you on any anticoagulant medication to thin the blood at all?


Love Mel.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i'm not on any blood thinner

OK, thank you for that. Knowing that will stop me going off in the wrong direction in trying to help you.


Blood spots under the skin may be either purpura or petechiae. Purpura might look like bruises, but they are not caused by an injury as most regular bruises are. Petechiae don't look like bruises. They are tiny, flat, red or purple spots in the skin, but they are different than the tiny, flat, red spots or birthmarks that are present all the time.

Sudden unexplained bruising or blood spots under the skin or a sudden increase in the frequency of bruising may be caused by:


A medicine, such as aspirin or blood thinners which is obviously not the cause in your case.

Infection that causes the buildup of toxin in the blood or tissues which is called sepsis (Not to be confused with septacaemia!!)

A bleeding or clotting disorder, such as hemophilia, von Willebrand's disease, thrombocytopenia, or another less common bleeding or clotting disorder.


Other diseases that affect clotting are chronic inflammatory diseases, such as lupus.

Liver disease, such as cirrhosis.

Some types of cancer, such as Hodgkin's disease, leukemia, or multiple myeloma but your doctor would have picked up on that so don't worry about that one.

Inflammation of a blood vessel called vasculitis or malnutrition, such as deficiencies of vitamins B12, C, or K, or folic acid.


If you have not yet had one, I would advise you to request a blood test for full blood count including CRP which is something which will tell whether there is any inflammation in your body and rule out lupus. Also white cell count and red cell count.


Do not be fobbed off sweetheart by thinning skin. You are 67 not 97!!!


I hope this has helped you a little. I do hope you get it sorted out soon, if not ask to see a haematologist who will definitely investigate this for you.


With my very best wishes






Mel. and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you

It's me again! i missed a blood test, I do apologise. It is important that you ask for ESR also as this checks your clotting time.


Sorry about that! DO NOT click on accept or you will be charged again.


Take care.


Lots of love