Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

First off I'll just say I have bad OCD and anxiety and I am

Hi. First off I'll...
Hi. First off I'll just say I have bad OCD and anxiety and I am a huge Emetophobe. Today I had an "incident" while out driving. Someone ahead of me vomited out of the car window. I was a few cars behind them and had the blowers on blowing air in my face as it's a hot day and had the windows open also. If this person had Norovirus or something similar how likely is it I will get infected? I understand that when someone with Norovirus vomits they spray millions of virus particles into the air so is it possible that some of these would have come through the air vents or open windows on to me? Do they stay airborne for a while or do they settle quickly (i.e. along with the vomit). The vomit had hit the road before I got to it so it's not like the car took a splatter mid flight! I had a shower and changed my clothes as soon as I got in but I'm worried now. Thanks.
7/1/2009
Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Thank you for your question.
Looking at what you wrote, it is highly unlikely that you picked up the particle. The virus is actually in the vomitus. No evidence has ever shown that the virus is picked up from respiratory tract. So unless you actually swallowed some of it (the vomitus), I wouldn't worry about it because your chances are minimal, if not absent.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

God Bless.

Have a blessed Tuesday.
I hope I’ve been able to shed a little light on this for you.
If you have further questions on this topic, please feel free to ask.
Please remember to press "Accept"

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.

Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Doctor G.
Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)