Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
14756658

I have severe joint pain, sun sensitivity and mouth sores

I have severe joint pain, sun sensitivity and mouth sores before flare ups. 3 drs 3 diag. RA, Connective tissue disorder, lupus. Test still do not show a thing. drs gave me pred and plaquinil and keep hounding me to get off pred. Yet every flare up they put me up on it. Yesterday dr said I had fibro not connective tissue disorder cuz ttest did not show that. Yet they told me before that test may never show it. new diag. fibromyalgia, which I m hesitant to believe cuz my joints hurt not muscles. Pred works and they org said it would not for fibro thats where other diag came in> Any idea what is truly goin on?

What is your age and gender? How did your symptoms start off? Since when are you having these symptoms?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
started in NOv after a PE. I had pain in my joints so bad I could not walk. Familiy dr said it was connective tissue disorder did blood tests nothing showed. Rheumetologist said he would give me pred if it worked it was an autoimmune disease, not fibro. It worked. so I have been weening off since I started but some days the pain is so bad I can not function, need more pred and then back to weaning. I am confused cuz now they saw fibro. I do not have trigger pts or pain in anything but joints??????Recently the sun had given me such pain the dr increased pred to 25 mg. Now they are yelling at me to wean well I am down to 3 mg and in pain but trying to wean. Plaquinil helps alot. I am unsure what they want from me. I am confused cuz pred works, percocet does not. How do I live when off pred???

Are you overweight? Are you diabetic or hypertensive?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
since predisone yes.I have gaine 40 lbs on predisone. Not diabetic, they checked several times, thyroid fine not hypersensitive.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You mentioned PE, what is that?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Pulmanary embolisim, blood clot in lung.
Blood clots, mouth sores, joint pain, confussion, rashes, all are symptoms of Lupus yet the drs say fibro. Dr left mess last night to go up on predisone cuz of son sensitivity and pain. Yet at my next appt he will tell me I need to wean. I am so so confused, angry, depressed, sick and in pain. I just want to know whay could be wrong w/ me.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ps I have every lupus symptom I mentioned above

I agree with you - this could be lupus or a variant.

What needs to be done next -
1. Get a blood test done to rule out anti cardiolipin antibody
2. anti phospholipid anti body
3. repeat tests for ANA, ds DNA done.

Other points that favour this -
1. Difficulty in weaning off the steroid medications.
2. No other possible cause of the PE , other than a hypercoagulable state.

Please click ACCEPT if you find this helpful so that i get paid for my work. A bonus would be appreciated.

Regards.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
if the blood test still do not show do the symptoms warrant the diagnosis. Do drs dislike telling pts they could have lupus w/ out the blood test showing it cuz it is such an awful disease. Also if I have lupus would I stay on predisone. Do they give plaquinal for anything other then autoimmune disease? Last ? thanks
if the blood test still do not show do the symptoms warrant the diagnosis.- yes it does
Do drs dislike telling pts they could have lupus w/ out the blood test showing it cuz it is such an awful disease. - No they dont. They would rather say what they feel rather than hiding it in this day and age.

Also if I have lupus would I stay on predisone. - yes that is likely. You may need multiple 'short course therapies' to tide over the disease exacerbation

they give plaquinal for anything other then autoimmune disease? - it is given for RA, Lupus and Malaria

Last ?- you may ask as many questions as you want. You are welcome.