Dr. M. Lahkar
Dr. M. Lahkar, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD in Radiodiagnosis
5326904

My brother is having uncontrollable shaking of his body and

My brother is having uncontrollable shaking of his body and has been for a few days. A few days ago he just said he was feeling sick, spitting up phlegm, basic chest/head cold. Tonight he called me and said his chest is hurting so bad and his body has just been shaking and trembling uncontrollably and he is sweating bad...not hot or cold sweats, just sweating. His tempature is 97.6. Do you know what this might be??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. M. Lahkar replied 8 years ago.

What is his age?

Is he a smoker?

Is he diabetic?

Any tests done?

I'm still online to answer your queries after you send me this info.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi. Thank you for taking this one. He is 39 and he is a "social" smoker...only when he has a few drinks a couple days a week. He has not been diagnosed before with diabetes nor had tests done. just to let you know, he does work outside in the 100 degree heat everyday mowing lawns...i often wonder if its dehydration issues or serious heat fatigue/exhaustion and it being worse since he had a head/chest cold all week. also, a couple of weeks ago he was shaking and had a cold sweat and pain in his arm and fainted. I was worried it was a stroke or heart attach, but he was fine shortly after. This body shaking and trembeling has been constant for about 3 days now he says, but the chest pain not so much, nor the sweating he is experiencing tonight. thanks...
Hello, thanks for the reply.
Your brother could have had 'heat exhaustion' due to lawn mowing when he had fainted couple of weeks ago.(as you mentioned). The symptoms are generally cool and moist skin, muscle pain / cramps, headaches, feeling dizzy or fainting, profuse sweating etc.

Trembling can have many causes .Most important being neurological like stroke. But other causes that may be associated are hyperthyroidism,lack of sleep and fatigue, stress, lack of vitamins, hypoglycemia or low blood sugar, drugs like amphetemine, caffeine , alcohol withdrawl etc.

My suggestion is that you consult an internal medicine specialist and go for some tests like blood sugar, routine blood count and a chest X ray. An examination of the nerves should also be done by the clinician.

I hope my answer is helpful to you. For accepting the answer, please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button.
I would be highly obliged for a POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS from you.