Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

How long does Adderall stay in breastmilk?

what are the side effects...
How long does Adderall stay in breastmilk? what are the side effects to the breast feeding baby if there is still traces of Adderall in the breast milk?
6/14/2009
Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Are you using the extended release tablets?

It is Adderall XR 20 mg. Twice daily.

I weigh 118 pounds if that matters.

Dr.Dev
Dr.Dev, Doctor
Hello.

Adderall will be biologically active in the system for 48 hrs, although traces can be found in body fluids for as long as 5 days. However, there are no studies showing it to have any significant adverse reaction in the baby.

AS A PRECAUTIONARY MEASURE -The intake of this drug is discouraged in case of breast feeding mother, since there are other very safe drugs available, like Ritalin.

Dr.Dev MD, FCCS, Cardiac Intensivist
If you found this helpful, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for my work. Please take a sec to leave POSITIVE feedback. Please feel free to clarify further queries.
lt;p>All the drugs in the body have an exponential decay. The half life of adderall is about 10 hours which means that in 10 hours 50% of the drug will be eliminated from the body. In the next 10 hours another 50% of the remaining drug will be eliminated i.e. total 75%. You are taking extended release type of adderall which has a longer half-life of about 15-20 hours. So, it stays for a longer period in the body. So, it can be secreted into the breast milk for a longer period of time. For practical purposes, the drug is in the system for about 48 hours. This biologically active form has nothing to do with harmful effects on the baby as it has not been studied so far. Baby may be harmed by even traces. In humans, no studies have been done to see the harmful effects on babies. In lower animals harmful effects have been seen. So, it is avoided during pregnancy or lactation.</p><p> </p><p>Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive feedback will be appreciated</p>
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
I am concerned that the previous answers may have confused you. The official FDA approved prescribing information includes the following statement about breastfeeding and the use of this medication; "Amphetamines do find their way into breast milk, so you should not take Adderall while breastfeeding."

The American Academy of Pediatrics includes amphetamines among drugs for which adverse effects on the infant during breastfeeding have been reported. The reported adverse effects include poor sleeping pattern and irritability.
when would it be safe to breast feed my child? Do I wait the 48 hours or a few days or the full 5 days?
I believe that most experts would recommend waiting at least 72 hours. By 72 hours, the amount of amphetamines that might e present in the body would be so small as to have no clinically significant effect.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)