Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

I have a sharp shooting pain in my elbow only when I put

I have a sharp shooting pain in my elbow only when I put pressure on it in a certain spot. I have fallen on my bike last year.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 8 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing today. I want to provide you with the best possible information; therefore, I have a few questions.

Any other medical problems?

Do you take any medications or supplements?

Where is the pain exactly? (Can you describe where you touch and feel pain)

Is the pain only when you apply the pressure of touch or with movement too? If you have pain with movement, what movements?

Any popping or grinding or other noises present?

What makes it worse and better?

Have you seen a doctor for this problem? If so, what was done?

Do you do any work or exercise where you could have an overuse injury, such as frequent bending of the elbow?

Any weakness, numbness, or tingling in your hand/fingers?

Thank you,

Ms. Lisa

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No other medical problems. No other meds. Pain is a little behind point of elbow only with pressure. 2 days ago, could not straighten arm due to stretching pain, but that has subsided. No popping or grinding noises. Makes it worse to lean on elbow, makes it better to baby it. Not seen doctor. No work or exercise that could have overused it. No weakness, numbness, or tingling in hand/fingers.
Thank you for responding. It doesn't sound very serious, but this has been going on for awhile. Does your elbow feel like it is lax? (meaning like it isn't stable, maybe in comparison to the other elbow)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, it doesn't feel unstable in comparison to the other elbow.

Hello;

Thank you for responding. I can only speculate, since I do not have the opportunity to examine your arm; however, I suspect you have some chronic inflammation and possibly some microtearing (small little tears) around where your muscles attach to the elbow. I wouldn't be overly concerned, but the bike fall is concerning. It is possible that it resulted in a tear that isn't healing on it's own. Since it has been a year, you will need to be seen by your provider or an orthopedist. You will probably need to have an MRI. If not seen, there is the possibility that the injury could become worse (such as the tearing increasing) and your symptoms may become more frequent and bothersome. Until you can be seen by your provider, taking an anti-inflammatory medication, such as Aleve, Ibuprofen, and Naproxen, should help to reduce some of the inflammation and pain. Avoid overuse. No strenuous activity.

I hope this helps. If you have additional questions or concerns, especially regarding this answer, please let me know.

Ms. Lisa