Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have swollen neck lymph nodes for about 6 weeks now. They

Customer Question
Hello, I have swollen neck...
Hello, I have swollen neck lymph nodes for about 6 weeks now. They are also painful. Doctor gave me 2 rounds of antibiotics because thinks it was a viral infection....antibiotics helped a little but I still have painful swollen lymph nodes. All my blood work is normal except for borderline hypothyroid but according to doctor no medication necessary for that. Last week they did an ultrasond on my neck and found that my thyroid gland is also swollen...but when they checked me a few weeks ago, it wasn't....but ultrasound shows it is. Also my ANA blood work came back positive. All I am taking is pain releivers for my swollen lymph node. My question is ....HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO SUFFER WITH THESE PAINFUL SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES...and what could I possibly have, doctor ruled out mono, mumps, and doesnt think I have lupus but what else could it be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/7/2009
Health Professional: Dr. S Riaz, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Do you have any other problems like joint pains e.t.c.?
Twice within the last 2 months I did have lower back back, swelled up a little but went away. Sometimes wake up with neck and shoulder pain but no serious joint pain.
lt;p>I feel that you have some viral infection which is going to take it's own course. Till that time you have painful lymph nodes. Viral infections are usually self-limiting and resolve on their own. ANA could be positive in 5% of the general population as well. Even the test could be false positive having no relevance. Your doctor has ruled the most common causes of these deranged tests. So, the best possibility left is some viral infection which is not responding to the anti-biotic but is likely to resolve in a few days time.</p><p> </p><p>Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues only if you are satisfied with the answer. BONUS and a positive feedback will be appreciated</p>
How long does a viral infection last. I've had this for 6 weeks. How much longer?
Most do not last for that long. What is the opinion of your treating physician in your case?
they don't know, I was hoping you can give me some ideas.
I believe you are not any medicines like phenytoin or recently had a vaccination for typhoid fever.
no
I hope it is not associted with weight loss or night sweats
Can I get a different opinion from someone else? Thanks
of course, I am opting out and the question is available for others to answer.
Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor