Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My Husband had a major stroke in Sept. 07' The hospital

My Husband had a major...
My Husband had a major stroke in Sept. 07' The hospital missed the stroke and diagnosed him with seizure. Next day MRI revealed Large Stroke at the base of the brain. He was treated with Adavan, dilantin and asprin?? Later, TEE revealed PFO supposedly, cause of the stroke. He had heart surgery to correct this defect and has been on Asprin ever since. His recovery is difficult at best. Slurred speech, stuttering, balance issues. He has lost his job and we are now on SS Disability.

Do We have a lawsuit against this hospital and Doctor for mis-diagnosis?? Will he ever be any better than he is now??
6/5/2009
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
I need more onformation
- a stroke can be mistaken for a seizure in an emergency room, especially if nobody witnessed the loss of consciousness

- the only immediate treatment for a stroke (if it is an ischemic stroke) is aspirin and thrombolytics. Thrombolytics (which are VERY dangerous and have been known to cause massive bleeding ) can only be used within 3 hours of a witnessed stroke. If it is a hemorrhagic stroke then this treatment doesn't apply. Other than this treatment is mainly centered around decreasing blood pressure and cholesterol.

-it really depends on the circumstances surrounding the stroke, what type of stroke it was, if your husband had any co-morbidities at the time, and who saw him first after the stroke

My husband awoke for work, went to get out of bed and collapsed on the floor, sweating profusely. I called 911 and he was in the ER in less than 20 minutes. He was talking and comprehending the whole time. IN THE E.R. WAS WHEN HE THREW HIS HEAD BACK AND PASSED OUT! CT scan showed NO BLEED.

He was on O2 when taken by ambulance, by the time I saw him 30 minutes later, he was off O2 and the ER Dr. was asking me what brought him to the ER?? He was finding nothing wrong with him!

Within 3 more minutes, my husband complained of a splitting headache, Vomited then passed out! Gritting his teeth (he suffers from Bruxism ( has a brace for night time)

He turned greyish blue while lying in the ER and I had to tell them to put back his O2!

He was given nothing to shrink the swelling of his brain....left in general medicine until the following day when the MRI showed Large Stroke.

PS... Had no high blood pressure, no high Cholesterol, is not over weight !

Sorry, since this post has been moved to the legal section I am not authorized to comment any further as I am an MD
was he on any medications at the time?
No, None, he was always very healthy and active.
From what you have told me it sounds like your husband had a transient ischemic attack before you took him to the hospital, and then recovered while he was in the ER, then had another iscemic stroke in the ER. But, from the way you are describing it, the ischemic stroke in the ER was mistaken for a seizure because he vomitted and gritted his teeth ( which is more common with a seizure than with a stroke). If they thought it was a seizure, then thrombolytics (which are used to break up the clot that is blocking the artery) are a contraindicated, and that is the main treatment that can alter the course of a stroke.

All the other medication control blood pressure and cholesterol, or prevent clots from forming (Aspirin)

I am not advocating the decision by the ER doctor, but given the circumstances you have described, it might be difficult to make a case for negligence, however, I am not an attorney

The Notes taken by the ER physician on the case are the most important determining factor in whether you have a case or not

These notes will tell you what the doctor was thinking at the time of diagnosis and why he came to the diagnosis

I hope this helped, feel free to ask me more questions
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician