hersheydoc
hersheydoc, Doctor
Experience:  Penn State College of Medicine - Physician Eastern Pa
15479760

MY HANDS AND FINGERS HURT AND GO NUMB AND TINGLE CONSTANTLY

MY HANDS AND FINGERS HURT AND GO NUMB AND TINGLE CONSTANTLY ANYMORE AND ESPECIALLY AFTER WORKING WITH THEM , WRITING AND DURING SLEEP BUT THEY DO IT ALL DAY ANYMORE. I JUST HAD A HEART EXAM AND A CATH 11/2 YEARS AGO AND IT SHOWED NO BLOCKAGE . WHAT COULD BE WRONG ?
Category: Health
Expert:  hersheydoc replied 8 years ago.
is it the entire hands that go numb or is it just a few fingers that seem to have a problem?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
lt;p> </p><p>MY ENTIRE HAND AND FINGERS HURT LIKE THEY ARE GOING TO BUST AND THEN THE NUMBNESS AND TINGLING.</p>

The most likely thing I can think of is carpal tunnel syndrome. This typically causes pain, numbness and tingling on the thumb, pointer, middle, and part of the ring fingers. There is some thought that its from repetative movement (writing) but this is not completely known to be true yet. Other things that aggravate this is sleeping because people sleep with their wrist in aflexed position which irritates the nerve that is being pinched with this problem. You can avoid the repetative movements that aggravate the problem. You can also try picking up a wrist splint and wearing that at night. That can really help some people. If this is really carpal tunnel and the problem doesnt resolve with this conservative treatment you would likely benefit from surgery. Its fairly simple, pretty non-invasive, and effective for many people. Hope that helps.

If you have anymore questions, please feel to ask.

Please contact me via personal message on this website if you have information about your disease that you think may benefit another patient. I am constantly trying to learn so that I can provide the most accurate information too all of my patients.

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I USE A WRIST SPLINT AND IT DOES NOT HELP , ESPECIALLY IN THE DAYTIME.

Not sure if you mean you wear the splint at night and the symptoms are still bothersome during the day. Or that once you have the symptoms during the day and apply the splint if doesnt help. Either way it seems as though this treatment hasnt been effective. Other things that can potentially help is to ice the wrist. Vitamin B6 helps some people although we dont know how. You can use NSAIDs to help with pain and inflammation (ibuprofen is one example of this medication). If these things dont work I would suggest a visit to the doctor to be evaluated for possible surgery. Hope this helps.