How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 11946
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where can i get help for these symptoms. numbness in arms

Resolved Question:

where can i get help for these symptoms. numbness in arms and legs, also unblanced on my legs
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
You should be evaluated by a neurologist.

You will also have a neurologic exam, and bloodwork drawn.

Depending on the neurologic exam, further testing can be ordered, which may include imaging of the brain or spinal cord -- and a referral to another specialist depending what is found.

For example, if you get a MRI of the neck which shows cervical spinal cord compression causing the numbness and lack of balance, then a referral to a neurosurgeon would be in order.

So, your first step should be initial evaluation with your doctor or a neurologist.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Dr Mark. Thank you for responding so quickly. I forgot to mention that I have Lupus and have recently suffered a uterine/rectol prolapse. Would that cause numbness? I am also carribean.

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.

Well, those conditions would not be the likely cause of your numbness. Certainly the uterine and rectal prolapse has nothing to do with your current symptoms.

The first thing that should be done is a simple neurologic exam, as checking your sensation, strength, and reflexes should tell a doctor the best next place to look with tests -- whether that be in the brain, spinal cord, or for other medical conditions that can cause numbness.

Dr. Mark and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Apologies for the delay in payment, I was in hospital.