Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My hands and feet feel stiff, numb and tingly.i hurt all

Customer Question
over and have a terrible...
my hands and feet feel stiff, numb and tingly.i hurt all over and have a terrible itchy skin. up my legs i keep getting a wierd sensation like chills or crawling sensation. Get terrible pain in back and into hips,thighs and legs when i walk especially if there is even a slight incline. Had xrays on back but nothing showed.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/1/2009
Health Professional: Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Well, x-rays are often not the best test to determine if there is nerve compression that is the cause for your pain.

This is because the xrays show only the bones.

A MRI would show the nerves and the spinal cord -- and be a better test in evaluation of your pain.

Given your symptoms, this would be best discussed with your GP to see if further evaluation with better imaging should be done in your case.
IF IT IS NERVE COMPRESSION WOULD THIS BE CAUSED BY INFLAMMATION DUE TO AUTOIMMUNE CONDITION AND WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT?
If this was nerve compression -- then a decision would have to be made -- could non-surgical treatments help (physical therapy, steroid injections, pain medicines), or does the compression need to be surgically decompressed (removal of bone, ligaments that are pressing on the nerve).

This would be the case of nerve compression due to autoimmune or degenerative conditions.

Sorry its been so long but have been coping with a variety of issues.

My back is no better even after a course of back physiotheraphy and core muscle exercises. Scan showed only slight degeneration of spine but assured this would not cause my back symptoms. Advised to use a Tens machine but feel this is not finding out what is causing the pain.

All over body pain has worsened but i feel this may be because i will push myself until i cant go anymore. All my GP does is up meds.

Mood is pretty low and antidepressants not helping either. It seems as my pain increases so does the inflammation. Pitting odema in legs worsr and moving up legs more. Wrists and arms are swollen quiet visably now but not pitting! I now take Gabapentin 3 300mg 3x a day, codiene 2 3x daily and patch Durogesic DTrans 12mcg every 3 days. I should be pain free surely.

At 40, over weight and extremely tired of it all what can i do?

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)