How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Charogat Your Own Question
Charogat, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1803
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Charogat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter reports having pain in her naval. She states

Resolved Question:

My daughter reports having pain in her naval. She states that there is occasional discharge, does she need to be seen by a physician? What could be the cause?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Charogat replied 8 years ago.
This may depend on what the discharge looks like.
One possibility is a patent urachus.
In-utero there is a tube connecting the navel and the urinary bladder. This involutes once we are born. Sometimes there is a patency remaining. This means that either it can be a completely open tube - which usually results in constant moistness at the umbilicus, and urinary tract infections. Another possibility is a urachal cyst in which there is not a complete open tube remaining, but part of the tube remains and that part can irritated or infected.
From what you describe this IS something that should be looked at by her physician.

Good Luck and G-d Bless You

If you have any more questions regarding this feel free to reply. If you are happy with my answer please click accept so that I can get paid for my time.
Thank You
Charogat and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you