Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

What if I had sex after a colposcopy

Customer Question

what if I had sex after a colposcopy
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 8 years ago.

Hello

Are you asking if it is ok to have sexual intercourse after a colonoscopy (colon test)?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Well I already had sex

Ok, so you're wondering if it is ok to have sex after the test or what is your question?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had the operation last tuesday and had sex today. I am bleeding down their and can tell that the blood is not from my period

Are you saying that you are bleeding from the anal area? Did you engage in anal sex?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had vaginal sex

Vaginal sex after a colonscopy itself should not cause bleeding from the rectum/anus. You might already have pre-existing conditions that might cause rectal bleeding after sex, but the colonoscopy, itself, would not cause the bleeding. Anal fissures, hemorrhoids, or rectal tumors can cause bleeding. I would suggest that if you are having enough active bleeding to use pads, you should seek medical evaluation. I also see that you added you have tried alcohol to the area. I would suggest doing this as this would cause unnecessary irritation and further inflammation of the area.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Its not alot blood but the blood is not from my anal or rectum its comming out of vagina

Ok, if it is not your period, the sexual encounter could have caused the slight bleed. Are you sure you are not pregnant?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I dont think im pregnant i dont have any symptoms just the slight bleeding that iInoticed today
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

are you still their

I see. The colonscopy would not be to blame for the vaginal bleed. If anything, it is from the vaginal intercourse.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I didnt have a colonscopy I had a colposcopy will i be ok I have an appointment next Monday and I couldnt get in contact with my doctor

Ok, sorry, I misunderstood the question

The Colposcopy itself will not cause the bleeding, but if any procedures were performed during the Colposcopy such as cryotherapy (or freezing of tissue) or any biopsies were done, this would cause the bleeding. If any procedures were performed during the Colposcopy, slight bleeding or discharge is normal a few days after the procedure.

(sorry for the confusion)

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you

You are very welcome! My pleasure!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is their any thing i should do besides taking it easy
Hi, just let your dr know if the bleeding continues or worsens. That's about it. Try to stay off of your feet as much as possible. Just a quick question, did your dr tell you to avoid sexual intercourse for a certain time period? Did your bleeding start after you said sex or was it there before you had sexual intercourse?