RK
RK, Doctor
Experience:  MD, DM.
14495901

Can anal skin tags and hemeroids cause grooves in stool?

Customer Question

can anal skin tags and hemeroids cause grooves in stool?
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
no they should not cause groves in stool.skin tags and hemorrhoids are outside the rectum.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
well what could be the cause? I do have irritablr bowel syndrome.
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
what type of groves do you have? can you explain it further?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there are lines in my stoll from top to bottom. Almost as if you had taken a toothpick and drug it down the sides of the stool. My skin tag and hemmeroid are right on the opening of my anus. So I thought as the stool came out, it rubbed across the tag and heemeroid.
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
hemorrhoids and skin tags are usually soft and it is unlikely to cause the lines unless they are really close to the opening and on both sides. detailed examination is needed to confirm this .you should see your doctor. the other causes could be polyps . 100% clear answer can be with examination and looking at the location and size of tag and hemorrhoid.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They ARE on the opening on each side. Skin tags are not that soft. Is this common? does irritable bowel have anything to do with it? cancer? Ofcoarse I know I need to get examined, but I am looking for some ANSWERS tonight ,too.
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
well cancers can cause narrow stools. IBS will not cause lines on the side of stool. if there are several tags and hemorrhoids near the opening then they may cause lines if any but less likely.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
polyps are the best answer? or cancer? My stools are a bit narrower but not always and they are not pencil thin.????????????
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
`as i said without exam and looking at stool it is hard to confirm. further investigations are needed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I realize that. I don't feel you have told me anymore Ithan I already can fihure out on my own.
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
see i can list couple of things but it will be wrong to give false information and make you worry unnecessary. colon cancer is the most common cause for narrowing of stools. hemorrhoids and anal tags are less likely to cause such issues.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
everyone that has narrowing of the stools could most commonly have cancer? Because there are a lot of people on line complaining of flat stools, thiiner stools etc..... does nothing else cause this? Is there a gastric doctor that can take over these qustions?
Expert:  RK replied 8 years ago.

Hemorrhoids are nothing but the enlarged anal cushions which are normally present.

Skin tags on the other hand can be associated with anal fissure.

Both of these do not cause cracks ( grooves) on the stool surface.

Anal fissure on the other hand can cause blood streaked stool and not grooves.

Colon cancer and polyps as such do not cause the grooves.

Grooves are seen on the surface of the stool if there is constipation.

This especially so if it is a slow transit constipation. This occurs when the transit of stool down the bowel is prolonged.

According to Bristol stool form scale, this can be categorized Type 2 or type 3 stool.

So the grooves on the stool surface is due to slow transit constipation.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the grooves can be caused by a slow transit and NOT colon cancer or polyps? and it can be harmless?
Expert:  RK replied 8 years ago.

Grooves are not caused by colon cancer or polyps but occurs due to constipation.

Have a colon transit study done for confirmation.

You may continue with metamucil.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thinning of the stool can also be constipation> not pencil thin. I also have IBS. Thinning stool with grooves in it. Never have they been any where near pencil thin. No bleeding, no weight loss, no tiredness.
Expert:  RK replied 8 years ago.

Thinning can occur with constipation.

IBS is of three types diarrhea predominant, constipation predominant and mixed types.

Since there is no bleeding, no weight loss , the cahnces of colon cancer causing constipation is less likely.

As said earlier you continue with metamucil.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok. I feel better. It was causing me high anxiety as I don't have an appointment with a gastric doctor until June 16. I need to ease my mind or I may have a heart attack or a break down. Don't you want to know if there is any colon cancer history in my family? THere is not. And I quit smoking 12 years ago. Any last words to ease my mind? And are you certain of the information you have given me? Thank you.
Expert:  RK replied 8 years ago.

Since you do not have symptoms of bleeding, fatigue and weight loss, I did not ask for the family history of cancer.

Colon cancer is more common on the left colon which usually presenst with bleeding per rectum, fatigue due to anemia and altered bowel habits.

Grooves are not due to colon cancer or polyps.

But consult your doctor for evaluation of constipation.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok thank you    any thing else before I accept?
Expert:  RK replied 8 years ago.

Get back to me after your consultation with Gastroenterologist.

RK, Doctor
Experience: MD, DM.