Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My son has a 103.7 temperature. Do I take him to hospital?

My 5 year old son just spiked a fever of 103.7. Should I take him to the hospital?
He is otherwise healthy. I gave him Motrin 10 minutes ago..
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Apart from Motrin, you can give him a warm sponge bath. This helps further in bringing down the temperature. With no other symptom than fever, this is likely to be viral fever. If the fever does not go below 100, or if any new symp***** *****ke vomiting or cough develops, you may consider taking him to ER.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

At what temp. should I take him to the ER?
I was told that Tylenol and/or Motrin only lower a fever by approximately 1 degree. This has not seemed to be my experience. I have often seen it lower the fever completely to normal only to come back up when the medication wore off. What are your feelings on this?
If the Motrin doesn't bring the temp. down to 100 degrees, I should take him to the ER?
How long should it take for the medication to work?

Medication takes approximately half an hour to work. Motrin and Tylenol can bring the fever to normal. If the fever is persistently above 100 despite the medicine and warm water soaked towel sponging, it would be prudent to get a physical examination by a doctor.

It is a pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

But should I take him to the ER, or our regular pediatrician in the morning? It is 10:46 pm right now.

If the fever comes down to less than 100, you can wait till morning for the regular pediatrician appointment. If the fever remains above 100 despite the measures, it is better to get an evaluation done in the night at ER.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your help.

You are welcome.

I hope this was helpful to you. Good luck!