Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My tibc is high 535, but my iron is 10.3; what does this

Customer Question
mean...
my tibc is high 535, but my iron is 10.3; what does this mean
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
5/21/2009
Health Professional: Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)

Total iron binding capacity (TIBC) is a blood test that shows if there is too much or too little iron in the blood.

Iron is carried in the blood attached to the protein transferrin.

This test helps measure the ability of a protein called transferrin to carry iron in the blood.

Normal range

Serum iron= 59-158 mcg/dL(10.6-28.3µmol/L) for men
37-145mcg/dL(6.6-26µmol/L) for women
TIBC: 240-450 mcg/dL
Transferrin saturation: 20-50%
As you have high TIBC and normal level of serum iron it means you have Iron deficiency anemia.
I suggest you to consult your regular doctor or Hematologist for further evaluation and management.

DOCTOR, THIS INFO WAS ON MY CBC, YOU JUST ACKNOWEDGED IT.. MY QUESTION IS THEN, ARE YOU SAYING THE PROTEIN TRANSFERRIN IS THE FAULT? HOW DO I WORK TO CORRECT THAT...

AS I TOLD YOU I KNOW I HAVE IRON ANEMIA AND AM TAKING IRON WITH ONLY A MERE ONE POINT IMPROVEMENT IN TEN WEEKS..PLUS I AM UNDER DOCTOR'S CARE, BUT WHEN HE SENT THE READ OUT, NEVER BROUGHT UP THE HIGH BINGING..HAVE RESEARCHED IT, BUT IT NEVER IS COMPLETE IN ITS DESCRIPTION. SO I AM STILL THE SAME PLACE I WAS YESTERDAY WHEN I WROTE YOU. SO NO THIS WAS NOT HELPFUL. KJ DEWERT

TIBC is usually elevated when total body iron stores are low .
The diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia requires further investigation as to its cause.
It can be a sign of other disease which will cause the loss of blood in the stool.
In adults, 60% of patients with iron deficiency anemia may have underlying gastrointestinal disorders leading to chronic blood loss.
In addition to dietary insufficiency, malabsorption, intravascular haemolysis can be a possibility .
As such your doctor may advise a FOBT ( Fecal occult blood test ) to rule out any blood loss in stools .

I hope this helps
THANKS THAT HELPS, BUT LOSS OF BLOOD FROM ANYWHERE IN THE BODY HAS BE ELIMINATED WITH THE GASTOSPHY, SORRY SP, AND COLONOSOPY. I HAVE HAD PERNICIOUS ANEMIA SINCE 1985- COULD THIS BE A CLUE? BUT IF I GET WHAT YOUR SAYING THAT BINDING HIGH SCORE IS BECAUSE I HAVE IRON ANEMIA. KJ
Pernicious anemia is due to vitamin B-12 deficiency caused by impaired absorption of vitamin B-12 .

High TIBC is usually suggestive of iron deficiency anaemia .

In my opinion PBF is also necessary in your case .

?? Malabsorption of iron ,?? Low dietary iron can be possible causes .
PLEASE TELL ME WHAT "PBF" IS? KJDEWERT
Causes of many haematological disorders can be ruled out by careful examination of the peripheral blood film(PBF).
It is helpful to
determine the presence of abnormal or immature cells( red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets in appearance and number,size)and help to diagnose a range of deficiencies that can have an effect on the number and type of blood cells produced, their function, and their lifespan.
I suggest you to consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH....KJ DEWERT
You are most welcome .
Thank you for using justanswer.com
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)