Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

A 4-5 lb iron fell approximately 4-5 feet with the point…

Customer Question
a 4-5 lb iron fell...
a 4-5 lb iron fell approximately 4-5 feet with the point hitting me in the head. This almost knocked me out, leaving me disoriented and lacerating my scalp. I had to have staples put in the top of my head. Since then I started stuttering. My doctor, after 2 months, ordered a CT scan which showed nothing. He thinks I should see a psychiatrist. He thinks its stress related. I do not. Do you think I should see another doctor?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Health
5/18/2009
Health Professional: Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD) replied 9 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
It probably is unlikely that a minor head trauma -- that wasn't enough to knock you unconsious -- was the cause of your stuttering.

However, there are cases where injury to specific areas of the brain -- those that control speech -- can cause "neurogenic stuttering".

But such cases of stuttering would generally be because of a severe injury to the word processing/speech areas of the brain, and if the CT scan did not show evidence of injury -- it seems unlikely that this minor head trauma would be the cause.

An evaluation with a speech therapist may be beneficial in determining the cause of the stuttering.

http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=81

Do you think an MRI would give a clearer picture of my brain and any injury? The point of the iron hit me in the crown of my head on the left side. I ask this because I had no coordination, I had great difficulty dialing the phone, and my speech was slurred and my son told me that he had trouble understanding me. I just find it hard to believe that the head injury and the stuttering are not related.

A MRI would get a better picture of the brain -- but considering you have had a normal CT scan, the likelihood of finding anything on a MRI is low.

Of course, without a full evaluation, one won't know, so perhaps the best specialist to see is not a psychologist, but a neurologist.