Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have had a strange lump, tight feeling in my throat for

the past week and then...
I have had a strange lump, tight feeling in my throat for the past week and then also for past 5-6 days a metal taste in my mouth...it is not going away...i called my dentist but can't get in for 3-4 weeks
i have got the lump feeling before, but never this bad and for so long...i don't have heartburn and i do sleep good once i fall asleep, no acid coming up when i lay down?? any suggestions??
i did have some haddock about same time as metal taste started could that be the cause? thanks for nay help!!
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/6/2009
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
This sounds like you are describing a condition called Globus Pharyngeus (sensation of a lump in the throat, or something caught in the throat)
Other conditions associated with Globus include tonsillitis, pharyngitis, acid reflux, and anxiety disorders.

In most patients, this simply resolves with time and gentle throat hygeine with a non-alcohol based mouthwash and gargle solution.
Some patients also benefit from antacid medicines.
In worst case scenarious, botulinum (Botulism) toxin can be injected into the cricopharyngeus muscle.
Dysgeusia is the medical term for a change in your sense of taste most often, you'll get a sour or metallic taste that persists even when you're not eating.

Common causes of metallic taste in mouth include -

Oral problems, including oral infections such as gingivitis or periodontitis, tooth infections, and poor oral hygiene .
Medications such as some antibiotics, antidepressants,

Sometimes the cause of a metallic taste can't be determined.
Other possibilities include

Mouth dryness
Nasal infection, nasal polyps, sinusitis
Smoking
Vitamin B-12 or zinc deficiency .
Sometimes due to acid reflux also .
You should drink plenty of water and fruits rich in vitamins .
You should maintain proper oral hygiene.
You should discuss your medications for your other ailments with your doctor.
Ideally you need to be seen by your doctor for further evaluation and managment
Hope this helps.

I am not currently on any other meds....take some of my children's vitamins off and on

i had seen about 2+ years ago a thyroid dr. and my results were normal....had some small cyst....i believe i was diagnosied many years ago with a hiatal hernia...could this be the problem, is it possible that it can come up to around my adam's apple and make me feel like i'm being chocked....i can breath ok, but it's very uncomfortable feeling and i have never had anything with this taste in mouth before....i do have fillings that are silver and my one tooth that the filling is in, has a greyish tint on it at the back of the filling...could this cause the aweful taste in my mouth? i don't smoke or drink...

i am overweight.....the part of the tight area is dry, but i'm producing alot of saliva in my mouth....and my tounge has a burning wierd feeling to it...

when i saw my dr previously about 2 years ago for the lump thing she don't want to run any test...just put me on something for GERD....

would a endoscopy reviel anything?

what should i ask to have done to get to the bottom of this?

oh i did go to the er 2 yrs ago because i got a piece of stesk stuck in my throat....they gave my different medicines to loosen my muscles and i still couldn't swallow anything even water....they called in a surgeon, but i went to the restroom first and prayed and thank God i was finally able to force up some air and then swallowed and declined the endoscopy....kinda wish i had let them look now...could there be something (goiter) in my throat that would not be visiable from the out side....my father has one, but his is a big lump on the outside of his neck.....can wait lose make the hiatal hernia go away again?

thanks...i really appreciate your wisdom in this matter!

One possibility that comes to mind based upon your symptom include Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR)
Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) refers to the backflow of stomach contents into the throat.
Symptoms of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux are:
* Continual throat clearing
* Chronic throat irritation
* Chronic cough
* Hoarseness
* Excessive phlegm the throat
* Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
* Constant sensation of something in the throat
* Swallowed food comes back up
* Post nasal drainage
Some doctors believe a hiatal hernia may weaken the LES ( lower esophageal sphincter) and cause reflux .
Also metallic taste can be due to Post nasal drip or acid reflux .

I do sometimes have difficulty swallowing and a sensation of something in my throat and maybe some post nasal drip....is there a natural approach...would weight loss help?

i don't have continual throat cleaning, chronic throat irrattion, cough, hoarseness, and rarely have food coming back up...although about 15 years ago, i really did have alot of reflux and heartburn, i don't usually have those systoms anymore...maybe once a month at the most...

is there a test that can be done to diagnois it rather than just being put on medicine, becuase that seems to be my reg. dr's approach....

thanks,

Customer/p>
weight loss will help you .
A reasonable initial weight loss goal is to lose about 10% of your current body weight.
A weight loss of more than 2 pounds per week is not good due to what is called Yoyo effect. It is the cycle of losing and regaining weight. This happens when a person tries to reduce a significant amount of weight in a short period of time through rigid dieting and then suddenly discontinues dieting because of boredom or sheer hunger. When this happens, the person gains weight but this time becomes even heavier than before dieting started.

I would suggest a regimen of some Yoga exercises and enjoyable aerobic exercise-walking, cycling or swimming.
Yogic practices that reduce anxiety tend to reduce anxious eating.
Yoga deep breathing increases the oxygen intake to the body cells, including the fat cells. This causes increased oxidation or burning up of fat cells.

Regarding diet i would suggest Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains.Increase Fibre in diet. Take six small meals rather than large meals.Increase salad in diet

As such the line of treatment is similar with these symptoms that is why doctor is prescribing the medication .
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
thanks for all yor help, very satisfied with your responses!
Thank You for using justanswer.com .
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)