How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deanna, RN Your Own Question
Deanna, RN
Deanna, RN, Nurse
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 334
Experience:  Registered Nurse, Bachelor's Degree, 13 years experience Chemotherapy, Med/Surg/Emergency Care
Type Your Health Question Here...
Deanna, RN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The other day I made a device to smoke (tobacco) out of.

Resolved Question:

The other day I made a device to smoke (tobacco) out of. This device consisted of a plastic Fuze soda bottle with the bottom cut out and replaced with aluminum foil. I placed the tobacco on the aluminum foil, screwed the top on and lit the foil until it became hot enough that the tobacco was smoking into the bottle. While inhaling the tobacco I noticed it had kind of a weird taste but did not really think to much about it. Today I noticed the end of the bottle, where the aluminum foil was wrapped around was curled up and I am pretty sure I partially inhaled plastic fumes 10-15 times. Do I have any reason to be worried?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Deanna, RN replied 8 years ago.


Inhaling plastic (PTFE) fumes is certainly not advised, as doing so can lead to pulmonary edema. This has occurred in persons that have inhaled large amounts (like people that work in plastic factories), but it is unlikely that you caused any permanent damage by this one-time occurrence. Since smoking tobacco is harmful in itself, I certainly do not advise it, but if you are going to do so, I strongly recommend that you do it only with approved devices, such as pipes.

If you experience any shortness of breath or unusual coughing, I recommend that you contact your primary care physician or a pulmonologist immediately. If you have suffered no symptoms as of yet, it is unlikely that you will though. Good luck and take care!

Deanna, RN and other Health Specialists are ready to help you