How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Doctor G. Your Own Question
Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1228
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
Type Your Health Question Here...
Doctor G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have extreme pain just above and below my lips. I tried

Customer Question

i have extreme pain just above and below my lips. I tried taking abreva when it first started (the shaffing/burning) thinking it was a cold sore. I do not have health insurance, went to a womens health clinic and was prescribed acyclovir. This started in October, and it has not cleared up or completely gone away..what could this be? I know a type of herpes? But the treatment for herpes cold sores etc. have not worked at all
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 8 years ago.
Do you have the sores or pain?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there are no specific sores - it is smooth skin just extremely chapped/like at 32 I turned into a 72 woman if you looked at my mouth very wrinkled, and red and tender. At times, my lips seem to get a bit better, then it looks like I have had botax injections and had too much red cool-aid. then it goes back to the old woman, deep wrinkled shaffed lips.
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 8 years ago.
it's not just pain?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
its it very tender and irritable and it hurts to drink hot beverages or to have spicy food and my entire mouth top and bottom and side have the same red chaffed wrinkly look
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 8 years ago.
This may not be herpes alone. Although herpes can cause pain called post herpetic neuralgia, this may also be something called burning lip syndrome. The symptoms you describe can be one or both of these things. The best thing to do would be to see a dermatologist. There are medications that can help depending on why this is happening. One thing you can do is start taking a vitamin B complex as this may help relieve the pain.

Have a blessed day.
I hope I’ve been able to shed a little light on this for you.
If you have further questions on this topic, please feel free to ask.

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.