Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

How AFTER taking a 5mg oxycodone will it show up on a urine

Customer Question
How long AFTER taking a...
How long AFTER taking a 5mg oxycodone will it show up on a urine drug screen? 1 hr? 2hrs?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
4/27/2009
Health Professional: Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
It will show up longer than that.

Because the half life of the medication is 4-5 hours, this means that 50% of the drug is still in your system after 4-5 hours.

This means, depending on the sensitivity of the urine drug test, that the medication may be detected in the urine for up to 2-3 days after you take it.

Of course, if you had taken 15mg of oxycodone, it would be detected in the urine longer than when you took 5mg, but it could be 2-3 days before you turn negative on a urine drug screen.
I meant, how soon after taking a 5mg oxycodone,will it show up in a drug screen?
How early can it be detected?
Well, all of that will depend on the absorption rate in your stomach and small intestine.

For example on an empty stomach, the medication would probably start to get absorbed within a few minutes.

Eating it with a protein heavy meal can delay the absorption by minutes, and delay detection 20-30 minutes or so.

But it certainly should be detectable within an hour, possibly within half an hour.
In a urine drug screen? The only tablet taken in months. I guess i was just needing to know how how much time after taking the 5mg tab. would it be detectable in a urine test?
this would be in a urine drug screen, since the elimination of the drug would start as soon as the metabolite gets into the blood.

Once the medication is absorbed in the blood, it travels through the blood stream to the kidneys, then gets filtered out into the urine, and so the test should turn positive shortly after you start to feel the effects of the medication (probably no more than a hour).
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)