Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

When i sit on hard chair for more than 15 minutes, my left

when i sit on hard chair for more than 15 minutes, my left foot goes to sleep so much i cant get up without a cane, once on my feet i am okay after a few minutes.want to know what could be causing the problem and what type of dr should i see ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Does your entire foot go to sleep (the top and the bottom of the foot)?

Or does it feel like only the bottom part of the foot is numb?

Do you have any problems with circulation (peripheral artery disease)?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THE WHOLE FOOT GOES TO SLEEP.HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH CIRCULATION. I DO HAVE DIABETES AND BOTH MY FEET ARE SOMETIMES NUMB BUT I DONT BELIEVE SLEEPING FOOT PROBLEM IS RELATED TO DIABETES BECAUSE IT ONLY OCCURS WHEN I SIT IN HARD CHAIR. IT DOESNT OCCUR IN SOFT CHAIR ETC. ITS ALMOST LIKE THR HARD CHAIR PUSHES AGAINST THE UPPER INNER LEG CAUSING THE PROBLEM.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
The fact that your foot seems to go to sleep only while sitting in the hard chair does seem to point toward the possibility that pressure on a nerve in your foot could be the cause of this numbness.

Seeing your regular doctor first, for an exam would be helpful to see if you are having issues with nerve compression in the feet, and if this is very bothersome -- having testing done such as a nerve conduction test can see if there indeed is nerve compression in the lower leg, such as the "tarsal tunnel syndrome".