Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

my son is 16 and moderately autistic he has hasnt had a bowel

my son is 16 and moderately autistic he has hasnt had a bowel movement in 5 days. He usually goes every night. We did catch him the other night eating a cover off of a paperback book. We have given him a stool softener now for two nights in a row. We are wondering if we should give him a laxative to get his bowels moving or is that such a good idea given he could have swallowed a foreign object?
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.

Try this advice.

He must try to avoid stimulants. Give this regimen a chance. It takes time.

I will recommend a regimen for him to try to get you to have one or two normal bowel movements a day. The first approach is to increase fiber and bulk in the stool. If this fails, then he must go on to stimulant laxatives or other agents.

First, to increase the bulk in the stool, take fiber every am. ie. bran, bran cereal, bran muffin. Also 2 salads a day and ample fruits and vegetables. (avoid gas forming vegetables such as beans or broccoli, cabbage) Psyllium agents such as Metamucil, Citrocel, Konsyl, Hydrocil, Perdiem 2-4 heaping tablespoons a day should help increase the bulk in the stool. he may instead want to try Fibercon, 6-8 capsules a day.Also try Colace (stool moisturizer). Start slowly and increase the amount every day to avoid side effects of gas or bloating.

Try to train to have one or two movements a day by sitting on the toilet the same time every day.

Probiotics, like Activia, will help.

I have found this works for most of my patients after minor adjustments you must make yourself. Let me know how he makes out after a few weeks. This takes time and does not work overnight.

He can use Miralax on a short term basis or an enema if he is really uncomfortable.

Click "ACCEPT" (GREEN) or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a POSITIVE feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HE IS TRYING to go but he says it hurts and just a little leakage is coming out but nothing else
Expert:  Internist replied 8 years ago.
If he is having leakage he is most likely impacted. He must go in for an examination and disimpaction if necessary.